Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Birdsville track

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by rlanfant, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am planning to go to Birdsville to see the races at the end of August.
    I will ride my Honda Hornet 900 and I am looking for info on the Birdsville track, to understand whether it is realistic to ride it with a road bike.

Does anyone know this track?
    Is it OK to ride it with a regular road bke as i think it is unsealed?

Thanks guys for your advice.
    cheers
    raphael

2. Hi raphael,
    I used to live over on the west coast of south oz (wirrulla) near ceduna several years ago and have done all the outback race meetings etc and also travelled most of the tracks/roads over there and up north.
    I have done the strezleki and birdsville tracks on a old yammy 600 trail bike with out no problems, but as for doing on a road bike, my advice is NO leave it at home.
    If you must ride the hornet best bet is to ring some of the stations and or pubs eg; birdsville, william creek, glendambo etc. They should give you a good idea how the roads are in August.
    I know that the tracks up there can change from day to day, and if it happens to rain you have no hope of getting out of there with a road bike unless you put it on a truck.
    Anyhow hope this helps. You'll have a ball up there. Great people and atmosphere, wishing I was going.

If you do go the main thing is BE PREPARED!

3. I agree with Vossy, leave the road bike at home.

The trouble with those tracks is that they can be great for long stretches, so you can cruise along at a good rate, and get too comfortable. Then you'll hit a patch that has been driven on while it was wet, or perhaps still is wet, and the whole situation changes extremely rapidly. I've only done those roads in a 4WD, in September, but I hit spots that threw the 4WD around quite a lot. There have been quite a few 4WDs rolled because they hit dried out ruts left by others in the wet.

Be prepared means have drinking water and other essentials in case you get stuck out there somewhere.

4. Fuel range is going to be your problem. Expect 4-500km stretches between stops.

There is a website for 4WDvers called Oziexplorer which could give you some tips.

Personally I would be doing it on soemthing with a bit more ground clearance & much larger tank but if you plan it right you should be able to do it.

Make sure you buy/hire an eperb if you are travelling by yourself.