Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Birdsville Tarck & north two up?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by bmw1200gs, May 16, 2008.

1. Hi. Thought I had posted here but can't find it [hey I am new here!] so here goes again.

We are riding from Adelaide to Burketown [Gulf of Carpentaria] & back mid June > early July. The quickest route back is via Birdsville track which we would like to do. We will be going two up on a BMW R 1200 GS using off road tyres and fully loaded.

I am trying to find out about the roads from Mt. Isa > Dajarra > Boulia > Birdsville > Maree > Leigh Creek. Does anyone who has done that trip recently [or parts thereof] know how suitable the roads are for two up on a bike. If I was going solo it would not be an issue, but two up restricts me somewhat. I am mainly concerned about sand patches and bulldust; not my favourite surfaces!

I have been told from a few who have done the trip that I should be ok but the more info the better. I will be contacting the local police stations etc a bit nearer the time as well.

Thanks in advance.