Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Birds failing to fly

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by DisgruntledDog, Jan 7, 2011.

1. The Age

Very curious. We can only speculate as to the cause. I wonder if it will continue.

Google Map of mass deaths

2. On new years eve I reckon I counted at least 6 freshly dead birds around the traps here in Brunswick/Carlton/CBD. Mostly pigeons, but a couple of blackbirds as well. All of them were on the road/carpark tarmac. Perhaps not surprising given it was 43deg and the hottest it'd been since last summer. Maybe nothing out of the ordinary, and certainly now the hundreds reported in the article, but it was enough in a single afternoon to make one stop and ponder. I wonder if it was just the sick and the old getting knocked off by the heat.

3. Flies fail to bird all the time.

Why the surprise when a few birds fail to fly once in a while?

4. It was all around new year's eve. Fireworks are a major suspect - for the birds. I dunno about the fish.

5. The land dries up, and all who live in it waste away; the beasts of the field, the birds in the sky and the fish in the sea are swept away
    Hosea 4:1-3

6. please dont.

7. [​IMG]

8. i thought biologists were attributing it largly to the cold snap. interesting that the two continents with arguably the greatest biodiversity, south america and africa had very little reported.

9. Not that, rather it's right up there with some of the rather terrible interpretations of the bible.

10. Maybe it's like that TV show Flashforward.

Come to think of it, I lost consciousness in the early hours of Jan 1.

Anyone else?

Wow, talk about life imitating art. :shock:
    This is creepy.:eek:hno:

11. Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...th/story-e6frfku0-1225985964860#ixzz1AlRZ1Q95

Lilley, I'm sorry that my post wasn't accompanied by a smiley or somesuch - it was only ever a joke but wasn't obviously so...
    But it did prompt Geeth's brilliant pic, so was worth it...

12. Well it was nice to know you all.

13. Yeh....I LOL'd at that! :D

14. It's coming a year early. Those Incans/Aztecs got their calculations wrong.

15. +1...I had tears haha.