Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Biltong recipes

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MrData, Aug 29, 2016.

1. #1 MrData, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Hi guys,

I see there are a few South Africans among us. Anybody have a good bilton recipe you wish to share? Here's mine.

1kg beef or venison - for beef I tend to buy silverside or backstrap
    2 tablespoons coriander seeds
    2 tablespoons peppercorns
    1 pinch of chilli flakes
    1 and 1/2 tablespoon salt
    1 and 1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 cup of white vinegar

1. Slice the beef/venison into:
    a) For dry stokkies - 1cm by 2cm strips as long as you like, cutting cross grain.
    b) For more moist slabs with a bit of pink in the middle - 1cm slices, cutting cross grain. These will look like eye fillet stakes
    2. Using a mortar and pestle (or whatever), grind all of the seeds, salt, sugar and chilli together until the pepper and coriander are shells and the smell of it makes you sneeze
    3. Liberally cover the meat with vinegar and the spices.
    4. Let it sit overnight in the fridge
    5. Slap it in a dehydrator and anywhere between 8-12 hours later buy a slab of beer and enjoy.

EDIT: As part of the slicing of the meat, remove as much chunks of fat as you can. It will go rancid in drying and storage.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Can I put my order in now?
    The biltong connoisseur inztigatorinztigator might have a few things to say about this.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I have to say I've had a good response to it so far from the two expats who've tried it.

Not sure about this batch... sent the wife to "get a 1kg slab of silverside". She cam back with a 1kg slab of corned silverside :eek:

Oh well, I'll try most things once...

Bring it inztigatorinztigator - would love to hear your recipe(s).
  4. Interesting... so no cooking involved in this dish?
    The dehydrator - is that a commercial appliance, or could you hack it?
  5. #5 MrData, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    You could hack it for sure, wouldn't take more than a disassembled hair dryer and an enclosure with a rack or somewhere to hang the meat on.

I took the lazy way and got an Ezidri from Hardly Normal.

And no, no "cooking" per se. The dish is safe as slabs of meat are not likely to be infected with stuff like a chicken carcass as the meat maintains the integrity. By liberally covering it in what are effectively caustic agents like salt, coriander and pepper, then drying it out, you are a) removing any bacteria on the surface of the meat and b) protecting it from being further infected.

Oh the only thing you have to watch out for is fat - remove as much fat as you can as it goes rancid in storage.
  6. They're a fairly inexpensive appliance, Ive always threatened to buy one but never have. Recommendations?
  7. I've only ever owned an Ezidri from Harvey Norman (see above post for link). I don't recall paying nearly $400 like the more expensive one, but I know the cheaper one they had at the time didn't have enough grunt to dry meat out.

They're great! I justified the expense as a good way to make dried fruit as well. You can make your own Pringle-style chips, fruit rollups, all sorts of good stuff with it. My staples (other than Biltong) are dried apple slices and banana chips.

Good snacks for kids as well, rather than a lot of the sugar filled stuff you get at the shops. Also, takes SFA time to prepare this stuff.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Corned silverside!! Eina :D :D :D

I stopped fiddling with my own recipes, and just brought a few bags of spices during my last visit to SA :)

Now I just add the worcester sauce and vinegar, however I don't cut the meat until it has dried out.

Silverside is fantastic, or even rump steak if I cannot find silverside.

There is probably enough saffas to have a biltong-off :D
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hmm..when is the next batch coming out?

I'll bring thr beer. :D
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ah nice! Where do you source your spices from? I'm a sucker for fiddling with recipes for some reason. It's something Mrs. Data laughs at all the time - I cannot follow a recipe, I always improve it.

Damn! Worcester sauce! I'll try that next time.

Will let you know about the corned silverside... :p

I don't cut the meat until it's dried if I'm going with "steaks" as I think of them. Then they're nice and pink in the middle, so good with a stout.

Happy to have a biltong-off :)
  11. Just threw a batch into the dehydrator this evening. If I have any left in the next few weeks, will bring some along to Saturday morning practice or an uncle greguncle greg ride... need to attend one of those.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Yum - biltong-off. Sounds way better than jerky off!

My BIL makes awesome biltong so we just get from him, I never have to bother lol....
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yeah, for sure! The last time I had a jerky off... oh wait... no, public forum, PUBLIC FORUM! o_O

I buy the Protea Foods ones you can get from most delis and some stupormarkets as well these days, when I cannot be bothered with production. There is also a South African food store in the Queen Vic, they have some delicious biltong.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. #14 chilliman64, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    I make jerky in a dehydrator. also use it to dry chillies for making powder or flakes.

biltong is made from thicker slices than jerky but it is possible to dry jerky in a fan-forced oven so I guess you could dry biltong also. one of the critical things about drying meat for jerky is getting the temperature up high enough so you can dry it before it spoils = Jerky and Food Safety

when I have used an oven I lay the strips out onto wire racks (use those disposable aluminium trays at the bottom of the oven to catch the drips). set the temperature low and leave the oven door ajar. the temp needs to be low because you are dehydrating not cooking. rotate your racks around for even drying.

best advice for newbs trying to make jerky is to start with a small batch so if it doesn't work you won't have wasted much. write down your recipe and your drying times and oven settings so you can duplicate next time. for jerky you know it is ready when the strips will bend, not break, and there will not be any noticeable moisture at the crease where you bent it.

sorry MrDataMrData, didn't mean to derail your topic, just thought this may help those wanting to make their own but didn't want to buy a dehydrator.

I will try your recipe, thank you!
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. What kind of spices are you after MrDataMrData? There's a MEGA spice store near my place, can buy kilo (or more) bags of everything. Paprika, chilli flakes, habanero, coriander seeds, cinnamon quills, peppercorns, star anise, this place has everything

I made some prosciutto out of duck breast a few times - that turned out beautifully. Lots of spice. I'll have to give this biltong thing a go...
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Awesome info! :)
  17. Specific billing spice. You can buy them premixed in packets. I prefer to make my own, but sometimes it's just easier to get it premixed.
  18. And the final product.the corned nature of the beef doesn't seem to have made a difference to the taste :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. So my spice i buy from the local South African Shop in Rouse Hill (called Biltong & Spice).

I made my own biltong dryer out of a plastic crate and two fans from an old locomotive aircon unit.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Nice work! Do you know if they ship to Melbourne?