Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bilnd+Reducing radius+gravel Corner, What to do?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Sweeris, Nov 11, 2008.

1. A couple of days ago I just went to the great ocean road. I loved it there with the corners and since it was a week day there wasnt alot of traffic. Had abit of fun between Lorne and Apollo bay. Other than that I was just cruising along the road until I got between Apollo bay and the twelve apposals(spelling?). That place had heaps of 35km corners and a good mix of bumpy and flat corners with good surface. Had abit of fun going there.

This is where it almost went completely wrong. On most corners I'd go in at +15-25 kph of the posted corner. One corner I realilzed just when I was leaning in(left turn) was either 25 or 30 km posted but went in around 50kph. To my horror as I went in the radius of corner is reducing and while I was looking trough as far as I can see I started to see gravel there was more just beyond that. I'm quite curious on what other people would have done in this situation. Or what's the best way to handle it.
  2. I'm guessing there's a few options you could have taken...not having been there myself it's hard to say exactly what I would have done, but:

a) Applied the brakes whilst still leaning into the corner so if things got a little sticky you would have at least wiped off some speed (taught on HART advanced course).

b) Gone a little slower into the corner (I know I know, it's obvious)

c) Depends on how much gravel and what type of bike... A big 190 tyre like my FZ1 can handle at least a little gravel at that speed.

Probably have people telling me "I wouldn't have done that/do that", but like I said.....It's hard when you haven't seen the condition yourself.

3. opps missed the gravel part

depends what lines you are running though a turn as to how early you can pick it up, if you pick it up early you can try and re-adjust mid turn, if you have time and it's a huge amount of gravel i will try and attack it like i do for wet weather riding where i will try and move my body further off the bike and stand the bike up further underneath me, or the other way if there is only a minor patch is i will just stand it up cross gravel then tip back in harder, but still have to have nice and relaxed and no sudden inputs and let the bike move around underneath :wink:

a quick [-o< doesn't hurt either :LOL:
  4. I have gone on the gravel quite a few times on broadford but each time I manage to identify that there is no possibility that i could have pulled it off. I identified my inadequacy early and I braked lightly to scrub off some speed then stood the bike up and braked more and went motorX.

There is no standard answer. It depends on the situation. But the key is to make a decision on what to do, then stick to it and do not second guess yourself.

Oh about the gravel, its really hard call. if you were not scrapping pegs, there is a possibility that the gravel will cause you to slide. Its one of those situation that only with video replay can you make a good decision.
  5. Well the fact that you managed to come out the other side upright means that you must be doing something right :grin:

EDIT: In all seriousness the only advice I can give is that if u have to go thru the gravel try to maintain some throttle and try to avoid making any changes till your through it.
  6. Ease on the front and rear brakes mid corner, then on a loose surface only trail brake if you still need to wash off speed.

Thats how I usually handle those situations, whether it's right or wrong, always seems to work best for me.

The other obvious answer is slow down.
  7. At that split second this seemed like the best way out.

I went in that corner taking the line in the middle(have not seen the gravel yet). Looked through the corner and recognised that the radius was reducing. Not a biggie just apply the rear brake lightly and keep the same line. I got closer to the changing radius I saw part of the gravel. I then lightly applied the front brake and let the bike change the line so it'll run wide but still keep it in my side of the road. By the time I got to the gravel I wiped off enough speed that I just stand the bike almost upright and just hang off the bike a bit.

At least I got out ok. The other thing I was thinking is that I find that the R6 handles alot better than my little baby blade. I feel like I'm almost at the point(or passed it already) where I just think and the bike would do just that. This incident included but the only thing is I didnt know I can do that until I jump on the bike :? This might be abit worrying..
  8. I'd have to say I (hope) I would be doing it Stewy's way. Probably easing off the throttle to tighten the line (giving me a bit more room to play with, if I'm picturing it correctly), try and get the bike more upright while skating over the gravel (little or no input), and tip back down as soon as I'm back on tar.

If you were able to brake mid-corner your bike must handle well.
  9. Turn into the gravel,inside leg out and forward,toes up,sit on the upper edge of the seat and power on,get the rear spinning and slide on through,
    it helps to ride the dirt a bit.This is a bit light hearted,unexpected gravel gets your attention,but don't target fixat it.
  10. Stewy's way did occur to me but since it's reducing radius turn, that split second didnt seem like I was going to make it. Since I was lightly allpying the rear brake already I would probably have to lean in quite abit and lean alot again after the gravel.

I could have done it on my 250 as well but might overshoot abit further along....

I did that once already and learnt my lesson the hard way. Now I just look at the potential danger then look at/concentrate on my escape route. Which I think I done nicely in this incident. Otherwise it might have turned out differently.
  11. to me thats where you problem started, you were incorrectly position on the road for the entry to that turn (well you weren't position in the best spot to increase you vision for the turn, but that imo, i am just another armchair rider expert :LOL: :oops:
  12. I know that it's probably not the wisest line to go through a corner but it just give me comfort that I have some room on both side of me to change the line. The only thing the freaks me out is when I do a left turn take a wide line and fine someone cutting that corner in the opposite direction. I had this incident last time at the spur where a 4x4 just decided to cut a blind corner and almost clipped me in the process. I could still remember that split second when I saw a 4x4 halfway in my lane :shock:
  13. mmm...wellll....given that I would have started my turn at the outside edge of my side of the road... :grin: And without knowing how much gravel is involved...

I'd treat it as a normal corner initially....then having realized that it is tightening up, trailed the rear brake (maybe also some front) to tighten the turn and reduce the radius as I slow it down.

THEN, I'd spot the dirt and crap my dacks!... :LOL: :LOL:

But sometimes, I'll be good enough to get off all brakes as I enter the dirt patch, and then back on them again immediately after passing the dirt if needed.
    I would also increase the radius of my turn to get the bike off it's edge as much as possible, while shifting my weight more inside...all the while staying off the throttle...then hopefully...by decreasing the bikes lean angle and reducing speed, I have fudged my way through, and have come out the other side where I can regroup and reset the brain for whats ahead.

For me...It's about the worse kind of corner event one can have. :shock:

14. I was going to quote Chicken Run,
    "Stick your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye!" :LOL:

Step 1: Never give up, never surrender.
    Step 2: Bleed off as much speed as possible before the road tightens (if you're not riding at 10/10ths you should have enough grip left over to brake gently while turning. If you're riding at 10/10ths you should probably be on a racetrack.)
    Step 3: Never give up, never surrender.
    Step 4: Arrive on the straight at the other end without crashing.
  15. Thanks John, I was setting up for the reducing radius but the gravel just kinda threw my rythem off.
  16. Ive always tried to just wash off as much speed as i can then stand the bike up over the gravel, then do your best to get back into a descent line through the corner.