Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Bikie law used in NSW against non-bikie

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by E2W, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Just about to post this. Not surprised by it happening sadly.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  2. Some of us never doubted this would happen.
    "Paranoid", I think we were called...

Fuck the Police.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. There may be more to the story but still, the potential to be arrested for doing nothing wrong is terrifying. The youngsters simply don't care until it affects them.

First they came ......
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Seems perfectly in order, it's only democracy being dismantled, piece by piece.

It's what around 80% of the electorate keeps voting for, so it must be very popular.
  5. but... but... but...

Bikers! It's all worth it for the kitten killing BIKERS!
  6. They just happened to be walking down to the shops to do a bit of shopping...yeah right!!

Foster and his friends - Mr Hayes, Damien Case and Eli Morris - have had several run-ins with the law since their early teens and have all served time for violent offences.

The consorting charges have seen Foster imprisoned for a second time.

At 13, he had his first brush with the law and he picked up a drug habit. First it was marijuana, later speed and prescription drugs, including oxycontin - the opiod known as hillbilly heroin.

Foster has been charged with driving on drugs, convicted with assault and charged with having sex with a 15-year-old girl when he was 18. He has previously served a 12-month jail term.

"He'll use anything he can get his hands on. He's got other issues and that makes me sad in itself," she said. (His Mother)
  7. Disgusting. This is exactly what the police said they wouldn't do.

Mind you, the police have just presented the OMC's with the best PR opportunity they could possibly hope for. I hope they are smart & take advantage of it.
  8. Note which type of cop was the first to abuse this law: a jumped up security guard in a country town.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Exactly what they've done right here.

More importantly, civil rights and law reform campaigners need to use this to the fullest extent to show that the intention never was to limit it to bikies.
  10. All that has happened is a voilent drug f#cked sex offender has been taken off our streets. That's a good thing.
  11. Fascist dogs.

Nothing bad enough can possibly happen to the people behind this shit. I hope that their deaths are excruciating and completely accidental so nobody can be blamed but their own stupid asses.
  12. And as for these anti outlaw biker consorting laws being new is just another media beat up. NSW has had anti consorting legislation since the 1920's.

The gang violence was curtailed in the 1930s by the Vagrancy Amendment Act NSW 1929. It contained "criminal consorting" clauses which prevented known criminals from associating with one other and led to diminished gang violence.
  13. Quote from the report.

In sentencing Foster, Inverell magistrate Michael Holmes said there was "no other option but to impose a term of imprisonment".

"The legislation... highlights the concerns of the community in relation to the problems, not just involving individuals of bikie organisations, but of individuals that have a criminal propensity," Mr Holmes said.

So this is not about bikies, but about consorting legislation. It sounds like the judge has little discretion under the legislation to deal with lower level cases.

And everyone involved seems to agree that prison would only make the guy's situation worse. Its possible that the police were trying to help the guy by stopping the guy associating with known criminals, but got the wrong outcome.

Consorting legislation is nothing new, in many countries. Because crims hanging around together and getting up to criminal stuff together is an age-old habit too.

So what's your answer to it?
  14. Taking away freedom of association just puts us one step closer to putting undesirables in boxcars and turning them into air pollution.

If you've got a problem with groups of people breaking a law (e.g., drug trafficking), the answer isn't to make people stop hanging out with each other, it's to look at the law that is being broken and understand why it's being broken.

If these morons were doctors (and thanks be to Xenu that they are not) they'd be treating symptoms only, and ignoring causes. "Hey weird, everyone who drinks at the well gets a fever. Let's give them ice packs and leave the well open"
  15. You do realise that just by contributing to this forum you are associating with known criminals?

The cops will be around any minute to lock you up.

No it's not a joke. That is the reality of this law.
  16. While these people aren't the cleanest guys in the world how the law has been used here is pretty disgusting, all this is going to do is give this group a reason to further distrust the law and probably resort to more unlawful behavior.

17. Perhaps we need a handcuff icon next to the user names of these NR bad boys, so people know which threads they can and can't hang out in.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. It would reduce crime if they de-criminalised consumption of drugs and the police would have more resources available for crimes which effect people other than the person committing the crime.

And no I don't care if a smack addict OD's but yes I do care when they break into my garden shed and steal my lawn mower and whipper snipper to pay for a fix.

Let em get free drugs and that'll mean they don't need to buy from organized crime drug importers so with no market the organized crime groups will gradually wither as well further reducing crime.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. It's not the way things are going. I heard a comment this this week that New Zealand is on track for criminalising tobacco by 2020. Australia will be right on to that bandwagon, wait and see. Prohibition increases criminal profit AND police powers. Win-win.