Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Bikie colour ban started in Sydney

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by DamoSV650, Apr 27, 2012.

1. http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/bikies-face-colour-bans-in-kings-cross/story-e6frfku0-1226340274320

I'm surprised they didn't just pass a law requiring them to wear a yellow star on their jackets instead.

• Like Like x 1
  2. .. and who will actually tell a bikie they can't buy a beer because of what they're wearing.. ?

3. I'd imagine that to be the responsibility of the security head. I would also imagine the managers would have their phones in hand with 000 on speed dial for the more than likely necessary call.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

4. "The ban gives Kings Cross licensees the right to refuse entry to anyone wearing clothing, jewellery or accessory with a link to 23 OMCGs and OCGs."

Ban? What this does sound like is an attempt to incite violence via an option to refuse entry based on a persons affiliation.

5. well said

6. This is a bad law...

but it might have the beneficial side effect of banning people from wearing Collingwood colours! :cheeky: :bolt:

• Like Like x 2
  7. What does this change though? They could always stop people getting in without the right clothes on, I mean how many times do people get turned away for the wrong shoes.

Looking like they are doing something whilst doing nothing. Personally I would rather a bikie wear their gear then I can stay away from them.

8. except, of course, the Jews weren't going round breaking the laws of the land and shooting up their enemies in the middle of the night

a truly appalling analogy, even by your standards...

• Like Like x 2
  9. I wonder how many of the clubs will actually try to enforce this? It says the have the "option"...

Also, what if they have a tattoo with the logo? They can't take that off.

10. Some of them might have been.

It's still holding a group accountable for the actions of individuals.

11. a belt sander supposedly works well for this

12. If the bikies are breaking the laws of the land then prosecute them under those laws.

What we have here is a fascist law created specifically to make life difficult for a group the government has decided are undesirable.

Seems like a pretty apt analogy to me actually.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Sure, for now the law relates to 1%ers, but who's to say in 5, 10, or 100 years time a government in power decides to use that same law to, lets say, declare an opposition political party a proscribed organisation, ban its members from freedom of association and ban the wearing of tshirts advertising said party?
    Sure, we might say "this is Australia, it won't happen here", but why tempt fate? Surely there are enough laws now to stop people from shooting each other without restricting our right to associate with whom we please and wear what we choose?
    The yellow star analogy is very apt indeed. Single out one group and make them a pariah in society.
    Welcome to Nazi Australia.

14. Agreed! - There is nothing analogous about banning drug dealers, extortionists, thieves and murderers from public places, and the horrific mistreatment of Jews in Nazi Germany. Only someone who was incredibly stupid/incredibly disingenuous would attempt a comparison.

I can't believe some of you are trying to pretend that this is some sort of human rights issue, FFS.

@DamoSV650 - Are we to believe that you consider outlaw motorcycle gangs to be desirable?!

@Speedy - These groups have singled themselves out! - They're called "outlaws" for a reason; they have chosen not to be a part of society. They have no right to complain if society then discriminates against them!

I can't wait to see the feeble rebuttals from the usual members of the illiterati.

• Like Like x 1
  15. If they are all those things arrest them for it. Why have the law?

They have been arresting some of them, which is good, so why do we need a law that can be so abused.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-ar...-angels-and-nomads-bikies-20120427-1xoqu.html

16. I don't see how giving publicans the legal ability to discriminate against organised crime can be "abused".

17. Slippery slope.

18. ^ The catch-cry of all Leftist panicmongers.

19. Try living in the real world for once.

20. It's not discriminating against organised crime, it's discriminating against wearing clothing. People should be free to associate with whomever they want and be judged by their actions.

• Like Like x 3