Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bikesales Scams..

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mercho, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hey Guys,
    Got this email today regarding a bike that i have for sale on bike sales. i hope that no one is that stupid to send their details back, lol...

It was from mike_mike0000@yahoo.com and a simple google search confirms its a scam, not that i had any doubts, the grammer is pretty bad as well :LOL: ... Anyone else had anything like this before?

2. First one i've seen, but wait until you see the morons on todaytonight!
  3. yeh it wouldn't surprise me if people fell for it, i have seen stranger things :p
    I can just imagine it, "...yeh mate these are my bank details, i live here and the bike is in the garage, the keys are under the pot plant if you want to take it for a spin while im not home.." :LOL:
  4. Mike sure gets around :LOL: :LOL:
  5. Ha ha ha i guarantee it!!

Still nothin funnier than that bloke who donated to a Nigerian scam for like 5 years!!
  6. I got that exact same email today as well. Sounds very suspect. He asks in one sentence about the product and then spend the rest of the paragraph explaining how "he will pay."

I was thinking about emailing him back and toying with him a little, but then he'd have my email addy. Creepy.
  7. Yeh i replied to him :p Gave him a bit of a mouthful... Not too much he can do with an email address, and considering it was on my bikesales page anyway im not too worried :LOL:
  8. But your personal email wasn;t on there. They enquire through the little box on the right margin of the sales ad. Bike sales forwards the enquiry on to you... as far as i understand
  9. So....

Is this guy just trying to get your address so he can pinch your bike?
  10. Possibly... Or some unforeseen "problem" will come up when he transfers he money and then he'll ask you to ship the bike off somewhere. Or he'll need a small set up fee from you for him to set up an international wire transfer, which he'll obviously reimburse you for... later... maybe... not :evil:

Who knows.
  11. yeh i think the way it works is he sends you a cheque that doesnt go through, and then gets you to ship the bike, and surprise surprise the payment never goes through...
  12. Who on earth would send off the goods before a personal cheque cleared?
  13. No idea, but i have heard it happening before, im not even sure if this is hey way this guy works, i just know its dodgey..
  14. The way it works is you deposit his [bank] check, and the deposit works initially because it is an overseas bank that cannot be immediately verified, which any bank will normally honour, until they get word back that the cheque was a forgery. Receiving word back can take some time. Your bank will then reverse the deposit, but it will already be too late for you.

Having "received" the money into your account, you then send off the shipping cost via Western Union, to an address which is actually associated with the scammer. This money is not recoverable or traceable. So the scammer gets the shipping money free and clear. This is all he wanted really. Most people think this is a small amount compared to nearly loosing the value of the bike, or both the bike and money, so feel they got off easily just loosing the shipping money.

If he also gets your personal details, that is a bonus, and he may on sell those to identity thieves. It is unlikely that the scammer has someone in the country who would come around and steal your bike, but it's not impossible that the personal information he sold couldn't be used in that way.

NEVER, EVER use Western Union or any of the other instant money transfer services, unless you know the person you are sending to, and there is an extremely good reason for them to need money immediately. For example, if while on holiday they a robbed and need money to get home. Be sure they aren't just kidnapped and being extrorted for money though! Also avoid any escrow service that someone else suggests to you. Some of the scam avoidance practices written up on eBay are worth a read to educate yourself of how scams work.
  15. thanks mate, ive learnt something new today :LOL:
  16. perhaps...

1) Ask him to pay the shipper directly to come pick up the bike and pay for it on the spot with some legit form of payment :wink:

2) Claim that your brother's girlfriend's cousin's dogwalker is a courier and he will do a better deal, and ask for his shipping address :)

3) Give him a false name and a C/O address that is a fraud investigation department :grin:

4) Say you will only accept a wire from him, then go party with his money :twisted:
  17. ...and false, disposable e-mail addresses are what Hotmail is *for* ;)
  18. The results i found in google has one guy saying he over paid and wanted to get a refund for the over amount transfered to him.

I dont know who would be stupid enough to do it but they deserve to loose their money if they pay.
  19. or of course you can check out http://www.419eater.com/ for the Nigerian scam baiters - I love the monty python one