Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bikesafe: riding with the police in the UK

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by twistngo, Apr 25, 2010.

1. In the UK they have Bikesafe

BikeSafe - What is it?
    BikeSafe is an initiative run by Police Forces around the United Kingdom who work with the whole of the biking world to help to lower the number of motorcycle rider casualties. By passing on their knowledge, skills and experience, police motorcyclists can help you become a safer more competent rider.

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/Traffic/Motorcyclists/Pages/BikeSafe.aspx

where the police teach safe riding.

Nice if TAC could fund it in Vic because despite what we think of them the buggers can ride.

The message is that further rider training, post test, can dramatically reduce the risk of involvement in serious or fatal incidents and reduce insurance premiums. 2009 saw a significant reduction in rider fatalities over 2008 within the Avon and Somerset force area but this number can be reduced further.

2. This concept has been picked up in Vic and is run under the Red Flag Yellow Flag campaign and I personally briefed Ken Lay on the subject over 12 months ago....and he is a big supporter of the idea! VMAC drove it and its included in the PTW Strategy.

I'll let Tony E fill in all the detail. That further rider training, post test, can dramatically reduce the risk of involvement in serious or fatal incidents is also something that MRA(Vic) is talking to TAC about.

3. The Red Card/Yellow Card programme in the UK is something that was the basis for the BlackFlag/Yellow Flag programme here. I first suggested it at VMAC several years ago and it was finally taken up as part of the Community Policing and Education Programme. Unfortunately the part of the programme which included the diversionary option looked to be too difficult to introduce since there are legislative difficulties.

On the positive side we have the fact that the cops KRA's are based on the number of people they speak to - and not the number of bookings. Part of the programme also includes the employment of an analyst to look at the figures that are coming out.

At this stage I believe the figures coming out of the programme are something of a revelation in that they are showing motorcyclists as being generally more law-abiding than other road users. RBTs and drug tests are showing close to zero. I know that they are challenging a lot of preconceptions. When I have some figures I'll post them but it probably won't be till after the next VMAC meeting.

The "Assisted Rides" programme is about on-road training and will have around 2000 riders undertaking it.