Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bikes vs Scooters

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by zsavov, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Hi all,

Every day I commute 90 km by car. I intend to buy a bike or a scooter.
    Apart from all other considerations (price, power etc.) which one protects you more from the wind - a bike or a scooter? I have seen scooters on which the rider is pretty much all behind the windscreen whereas VTR250 for example offers no protection whatsoever!?

Thank you for your opinions
  2. best wind protection i'd imagine would be on a faired bike ie [img:350:319:dda9e7d1e8]http://z.about.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/F/F/f1226.jpg[/img:dda9e7d1e8] or something similar.

if you're worried about the wind you feel more secure on a bike as you can grip the fuel tank with your knees, no such option on a scooter.
  3. I reckon you get more weather protection on some of the more enclosed scooters. But i agree with slyfox that you feel more secure when gripping the tank on a bike, especially at higher speeds.

Given your commuting a long distance i would go for a bike as it will have a bit more power and you are less lightly to grow out of it (in terms of interest factor).
  4. that's true - some scoots have freaking huge screens.

[img:450:416:847094cca1]http://www.coburnandhughes.co.uk/images/S%20WING%20BLUE.JPG[/img:847094cca1] :shock:
  5. And you can really tuck in behind those scoots.
  6. For regular comuting especialy on the freeway I would be seriously be looking at a scooter... Manly coz of the extra wether protection you get... I have to yet ride a motorcycle which will give me so much wether protection.. a gold wing?? also the Automatic transmition and the auto clutch makes a huge differeance in trafic!! How many motorcyclists (especialy those with big sport bikes) complain about hand/wrist pains after a ride through trafic??
  7. slyfox posted

That sir is one hot chick on a bike!

Sorry about that.........now to the matter at hand.

I think it depends on the speed you will be travelling at on the way to work. Anything over 80km/h and I would consider getting a bike (eg. 250cc) because it will be so much more comfortable. That said, I guess you could get a 250 scoot but I don't think they are as safe as bikes.
  8. eh most scooters 125cc or biger do over 100km/h.
  9. hi, I've been riding a little scooter and I'm about to switch to a bike. the scooter is great for short trips. the problem I find is I tend to grip too hard and end up with sore hands on longer trips.
  10. I'm not sure why that would be the case. ?

Yes but the 125's and 150's dont really sit comfortably at those speeds for extended freeway runs.
  11. Also apparently they chew through fuel on the freeway like crazy.

Get a nice little 250, the ZZR is great, that way when you decide to more than commute, you wont feel out of place.

Think of scooters like skiing and bikes like snowboarding, similar, go in the same places, and although skiing has its place, it does kinda sucks :p :p :grin:
  12. thats true egiste - a 125/150cc scoot will basically be screaming its balls off sitting on freeway speeds, which is not an ideal situation for any motor. And yes even my Sportcity would go through a fair bit of juice if i asked it to sit on freeway speeds for any length of time.

However, one fo teh 250 scoots may well be completely different. One that is geared better for high speed work (say like a Suzi Burgman is) would cope better with regular freeway trips, obviously at the expense of slow speed comfort.

Another point which hasn't been raised yet is that your in ACT, don't you have LAM's there? If so then your not limited to a 250cc machine. If thats the case then you have many more options ie the larger scoots like the 650 (or 400) Burgman or any number of bikes.
  13. you can easily get a 250cc X9 or even one of those 500cc scooters that can fit 2 full size helmets under the seat!!!

I'd say if you are just commuting to and from work, then the scooter would generally have more storage space, hence better for work purpose. Not to mention the wind shielding factor, turning circle, easy of operation and sitting position.

Just remember that scooters doesn't stop at 150cc and can do over 200km/h no problem.

14. Smaller wheels = less stability, basic physics. This makes them great for changing direction real quick in urban traffic (what they were designed for) but a bike is the better option for the highway. Even a 650 scooter is still no faster in a straight line than many 250cc bikes and being able to accelerate quickly at highway speeds can save your life. I'd also be willing to bet that a sportsbike would be able to brake more effectively than a scoot. As for weather protection well that's what riding gear is for, head to toe cordura is a far better option than riding a scoot with a big screen in street clothes.
    Edit: And I'd like to know which scooters can do more than 200kph "no problems". The 500cc Honda was acknowledged as the first to break the 100mph (160kph) mark, the 650 Burgman is only 10mph (17kph) faster. The unofficial land speed record for a scoot's only 209kph (on a modified Lambretta).
  15. IMO I would just think the feeling is way to weird to have nothing between your bum and the front of the scoot. It would feel as if you could move anywhere, where as on a bike you are straddling an engine on wheels and therefore have more control and security becaus eyou have more grip points (point of contact).
  16. Actualy scooters are designed for road use unlike most sports motorcycles. Even a 125 accelerates faster than average car so there is no problem there. Scooters are designed for rapid and smooth acceleration without ripping the riders arms off or lifting the front wheel up... Simply put they are made easy to ride... Smaller wheels... there is an advantage to having them at slow speeds... much much better stability at speeds below 20km/h...

In trafic I would prefare a scooter over a motorcycle any time... I have used a CT110 for comuting for 2 years... 20Km each way in pick hour trafic... I felt safer and above all not as tired as I did from riding my VFR750... Though I avoided the freeway and any longer rides on it (CT110) like the plauge.
  17. Having a scooter and bike , i much prefer the bike , faster and more skillfull , buy a bike!
  18. Are you basing your opinion on "basic physics" or actual experience?

Piaggio X9 (both 250 and 500cc) - 14" wheels
    Aprilia Sportcity - 15"
    Yamaha TMax - Front 14 Rear 15

When your talking about the bigger (size not necessarily capacity) scoots, 14" wheels are fairly normal. You find that smaller wheels on scooters are not as big a problem as they would be on bikes. Scooters are without doubt more stable, possibly due to lower centre of gravity.

I agree with ksystemz, having both i can say i prefer the bike but that personal preference not because the scoot is unstable or whatever.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.
  19. Yeah sure larger scoots have larger wheels, but they're still smaller than those on a bike. And the fact remains that the gyroscopic force which keeps a 2-wheeled vehicle upright is dependant on the size (and weight) of the wheels. So put simply a scooter requires less force to be leaned making it less stable especially at high speeds, but more "nimble" at low speed. Modern scooters might be designed with highway use in mind but their main purpose is still urban environments - a motorcycle will always have the advantage on the highway (larger wheels, better brakes, lower unsprung mass, greater rider control, etc.). I'm not trying to argue one's better than the other - if your riding consists of heavy traffic in 60kph zones then the scooter would be the best pick, that's what it was designed for.
  20. I wonder why the passion in trying to defend one against the other?

Small scoots are (apparantly) OK for an inner urban environment.
    Probably also pretty good in a village!

Larger scoots enable a wider practical usage..but at a cost.

For every argument mounted 'for' bikes v scoots, one could counter
    with a bike v bike one. eg: a big tourer isn't flash in traffic, or hammering down a mountain road.

Having ridden several bikes over 20+ years, I found the first couple of
    hours on a 'larger' scoot to be quite weird. But now I like it for what it IS,
    not becos it's not something else.

(just on 'stability' -the Burgman, with 13" wheels, long wheelbase, and
    frame-mounted engine- and a low centre of mass, is extremely stable,
    up to 120kph. More so than the 3 previous bikes.)