Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

bikes vs 4wds

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Noel, Sep 29, 2005.

1. I thought I'd let the tech heads answer this one...if I do a creek crossing and water gets in the airbox and further....what will happen ...will the engine cut out/stall before any serious damage is done or what will be the serious damage...
    Thinking of doing the Cairns to Cape York adventure. Companys do this adventure for the general public on their hired bikes. They will be the next people I ask what the go with creek crossings is.

2. I'm not really a tech head and havn't done all that many creek crossings, but I can say what I think I know. I believe if water gets sucked in while the engine is still running it is possible to really bust the engine up (probably worse running at high revs since it will have inertia and keep trying to spin)... broken con rod stuff since water is incompresable on the compresion stroke you put a lot of force onto the conrod (and probably all sorts of other mechanical stuff).

Only should be a problem if you dump it in good and proper. I think you are meant to flick the kill switch off as you drop it to stop it from continuing to spin and breaking things. Even if you stop the engine spining you will still have to remove water from places probably.

Although I have never done a dewaterification (and not really sure exactly what it involves on the trail) I think what you do is take out sparkplug (as long as clean around it so no dirt and mud falls into engine) then crank it over a bit to spray the water out of the cylinder (probably with fuel off... don't know), drain the carb of water (allen key or screw on side, near bottom of carb), drain airbox (mine has hose running from airbox with rubber valve thing low down), dry out air filter (maybe reoil it?)... Probably some other things but I don't know.

I havn't done all that many creek crossings and probably about 40cm is the deepest I have done so can't offer too much on what happens when it all goes bad (nor have I stacked in water crossings). For shallow ones (that you are fairly sure of the creekbed) I pretty much just ride across at a moderate speed (beware big rocks) and dab feet if needed. I love riding across creeks :D.

Up in the Cape it is quite possible to have water up to and above seat height where you will cross not sitting on bike. A lot may depend just on where air intake is.

For very deep crossings I think you can wrap your air filter in a bag, put it back in, plug the exhaust and walk it though (obviously engine off) to stop it ingesting too much water. Or even chuck it on a tractor tube and fload it across.

If you go with a company chances are they will tell you much more than I would know and would be more prepared for when things go bad. They also tend to modify their bikes to their needs a bit (but many bikes can get there... even a modified GSXR1100 with knobies has done it :LOL:. (under gallery for a pic).

You are probably better off getting info from someone who has had to deal with it though. If anything, when I am corrected on things it would be good for when I have such a problem.

Good luck with such an adventure if you do it. One of the many places I would love to ride.
  3. I've never been in that situation before, but I'd be guessing if it gulped down a big lungful and it got into the sump (assuming 4 stroke here) you'd be needing to change the oil as well.
  4. paris to dakar, a lot of the bikes were falling in this big mud pit. they'd get em out take the spark plug and and just start and kickstart the shit out of em, water squirts out everywhere until its gone, put the spark plug back in, off you go. think 4wd's would have a bit more trouble. as Guvenor_sier said water is incompressable, just get snorkal!
  5. I guess the tour operators would also know of the routes that are less likely to get in too deep. It would save them time and money.
  6. happens to enduro riders all the time, so I wouldn't be worrying about it too much.....
  7. Hmm, well, thankfully, it's never happened to me in a car or bike, but a good friend drowned his new Discovery on a trip I was leading - he seemed less than impressed when I mentioned it seemed like the best look for the Discovery - at the bottom of a river. He drowned it exceptionally well....I drained more than 4 litres of water from his sump and every pot in the V8 was full in a campsite miles from anywhere. I also checked the geabox and diff, and towed it forward up a steep slope to drain the exhaust.

With 4WDs hydraulic lock/priming does just that - stops everything dead...if you're lucky. If your at low revs, travelling slow or very lucky, no damage will happen mechanically. Major damage is likely to occur if you're revving the guts out of the engine (the flywheel momentum will break things) or travelling quickly where the drive from the wheels to the engine is likely to break stuff.

The quick fix is to drain the sump (the water sinks), replace the oil filter (the filter becomes soaked with water) and remove and clean the sparkplugs, then gently crank the engine to remove water from the top end. If you can, clean and dry the air filter as well. If you can, let the electrics dry for a while as well (disconnect the battery)

It wouldn't surprise me if I've forgotten something - it's been a while since I had to do that sort of stuff.