Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bikes not on R.T.A's LAMS list. [nsw]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Changa, Apr 30, 2010.

1. G'day guys,

I'm new to the forum , having only just joined (my 1st post in fact), but I really need to ask a question.

I recently got my N.S.W Learners permit and am looking for an approved bike to learn on. Trouble is, bikes I keep finding - which I can afford - don't seem to be on the LAMS list, even though the owners did their tests on the same bikes.

Today, I looked at 2 different old Hondas - a VF400F (1983), and a CD250U (1990). Neither on the LAMS list but both apparently have been used for learning. What is the go ? I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that if the Rego sticker says ?LAMS approved, then it's all OK.

Any help is greatly appreciated as one of the bikes needs to be bought this weekend. I rang the RTA the other day but all they said was "The list is the list", and didn't sound like they knew much about bikes.

Thanks in advance.

2. the CD 250 u does not appear on the lams list but it is a 4 stroke 250cc bike used almost exclusively for learning and will not be an issue the vf400 is a different kettle of fish.
    Welcome to the forums and please use the search and read the stickies..

(I had the CD 250U as my learner bike, a fun ride.)
  3. G'day, and thanks for the response.

Yep....I felt a bit rude just jumping in with that post first up, but the problem is I'm a bit stuck for time and trying to get my first bike (at 41).

I had searched earlier and remember seeing a past post but couldn't find it again. When i sort all this out I plan on making a better introduction.

Thanks again.

4. Look at the bottom of this page ;)
  5. It doesn't list the CD250U because, taken from the end of the RTA list: "All motorcycles with an engine capacity under 260ml are approved with the exception of:
    Suzuki RGV250
    Kawasaki KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
    Honda NSR250
    Yamaha TZR250
    Aprilia RS250"

As for the VF400F, not sure why it's not on the list. Does it have an alternative name that it would be listed under?

From what we have here in Vic, if the rego label has LAMS on it then it's all good. I'd assume it'd be the same for NSW too.
  6. The RTA have gone through the LAMS list lately and removed several bikes which were on the LAMS list but actually never qualified under the power to weight equations they used - Kawasaki GPZ500s (EX500A) was one removed from the list.

RTA advised that there is a move towards a national standard - which was why they went through the list late last year and removed a few bikes. You may find that the VFR400 is outside the power to weight output required for LAMS bikes.

With the bikes removed from the list they *may* continue to be used as a Conditional LAM (like my GPZ500s) however once they are sold and registered in the new owners name it will no longer be LAM. I was allowed to do this only because I purchased and rego'd my bike prior to the changes bought in this year.
  7. Guys, thanks a million. Looks like I'll probably be starting off with the little CD250U. It felt like I was one step up from Postman Pat when I sat on it, but I can do with something easy first up. I really wish the RTA had placed that info about bikes under 260CC somewhere more visible than right at the bottom. Oh well......

Thanks again. It's great to have had these replies, so quickly, first up.