Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bikes and scooters ignored again..... by the ABC

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by CrazyCam, Jun 10, 2014.

1. The ABC are publicising a commuter race, from Bankstown to their studios near Central Station.

10 June, 2014 1:31PM AEST
    The 702 Commuter Race
    By Matthew Bevan
    What's the fastest way to get from A to B in Sydney? Bus, train, car or bike? Linda Mottram wants to find out.

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

What's the fastest way to get from A to B in Sydney?

Well, it depends on where A and B is, what the traffic is like on C Road and whether the trains are running smoothly through D.

According to a study by a GPS manufacturer, Wednesday is the worst day for traffic in Sydney.

During a discussion on air about this statistic, Linda Mottram took a call from Jackie, who said she had witnessed a test of a city's traffic when she was a child in Ireland.

A race was held between a car, a motorcycle, a bus, a bicycle and a runner from the outskirts of Dublin to the middle of the city.

Against the odds, the runner won.

Jackie asked if Linda would run a similar race in Sydney, so on Wednesday 11 June, the 702 Commuter Race will be held.

A car, a public transport user and a small peloton of cyclists will race from Bass Hill near Bankstown to the 702 ABC Sydney studios near Central Station.

It's 22 kilometers by car, through some of Sydney's most congested roads.

To level the playing field a bit, the race will be handicapped: competitors will have one minute added to their time for every dollar they spend on the commute.

The race will be "to work", so the car team will need to find somewhere to park for eight hours, and add the cost of parking to the time.

Robbie Buck and Linda Mottram will fire the starting pistol at around 7:30, so listen in to Linda's show after 8:30 to see who wins.

end of quote

As for the cyclists, will they take into account them having a decent shower and changing into non-sweaty work clothes?

If I only knew where Bankstown was, I might be tempted to front up on the wee scooter.
  2. Don't care who wins, but I wonder if they'll be observed and the cost of all fine-able offences added to the handicapping?
    I'd really rather motorcycles were not involved.
  3. Run it again next month when filtering is legal in NSW
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. On second thoughts titus, you are probably right.

Best not to have anything to do with it.
  5. Because we all know who would win if motorcycles were included anyway...
  6. If it does and you would like to include motorcyclists then one should also include the time to become ATG and unbecome ATG.

I don't know about you but it takes me at least 5 minutes to put on motor bike boots, riding over pants, jacket, gloves and helmet and only a little less to take them off and hang them up in my locker at work.
  7. Well done MCC of NSW. Considering how many times MC are omitted in these events, is there some sort of policy not to encourage the use of MC & Scooters in our cities? Clearly they are the best form of personal transport so why are they not embraced by the transport agencies? All we hear from them are scare campaigns on safety issues without changing anything to lower the risk.
  8. How did they get a bike in there?
  9. #9 jdkarmch, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
    Just heard the official results from MCC NSW FB site:

Last minute co-ordination by MCCNSW. And a bit of pressure from other sources.

Results have been published. The Motorcycle has been labelled at an Interloper. That's a bit disappointing.

The race began on the corner of Johnston and Rex Roads in Bass Hill, a spot chosen as it didn't provide a big advantage to any of the transport forms.

Beginning at 7:36am with Robbie Buck firing a starter's pistol the four groups set off for the 702 ABC Sydney studios in Ultimo.

The race consisted of

• The Cycling Quarter: Chris, Marty, Ian and Ollie, who regularly use their bikes to commute and are members of Bicycle NSW, a community bicycle group.
    • Team Car: Mohamed Taha from ABC News and 702's Lawrence Champness.
    • The Train Spotter: Yours truly, a public transport user.
    • The Interloper: Bruce, a member of the Motorcycle Council of New South Wales, who wasn't officially part of the race, but came along for the ride.

Bruce and the Car Team took the Hume Highway then crossed Parramatta Road to the City West Link, while the cycling team took Punchbowl Road and Georges River Road to the City West Link and Anzac Bridge.

Meanwhile, I took the 907 bus from Bass Hill to Yagoona Station, then jumped on the Bankstown Line to Central Station.

Heavy traffic on the Anzac Bridge and parking slowed down the car team, while Bruce on the motorcycle and the cycling team streaked ahead.

In the end Bruce arrived at 702 first, with the cycling team arriving second.

The race was also handicapped, with every dollar spent adding one minute to the total time. The race was intended to replicate a commute to work, so parking would be calculated for eight hours.

Here are the final times:

• Motorcycle (unofficial): 00:46 minutes
    • Bicycle: 01:00
    • Public Transport: 01:18 + $8 fare = 01:26
    • Car: 01:05 + $26 parking = 01:31

After the race, I felt sweatier than the cyclists looked after my power-walk from platform 20 to the studio. Meanwhile the other teams said they had been surprised by how easy the trip was.

"It was about five times longer than my normal commute, but it was pretty smooth actually," said Chris the cyclist.

"We had slow to moderate traffic from the South West to the Inner West, but from the Inner West to the city it was chockas," said Mohamed from Team Car.

While Bruce on the motorcycle said he had a smooth run, he also felt ignored by other drivers.

"People just don't look, they want to change lanes on top of you. A big mini-skip truck just about turned onto me. He saw me at the last second," Bruce said.

So, two wheels dominated the first ever 702 Commuter Race. We'll see if that happens next time...
  10. Does it matter? Everyone knows who got their quickest.
    (But there must be some law saying it's illegal to promote motorcycling to gormless numpties :D ).
  11. I fliter past cops in sydney city on a daily basis, its basically already legal.
  12. I hope so, I rather PTW's are kept away from the masses