Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bikes, and parking in the City.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Changa, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G'day guys,

I was riding in the City the other day (Sydney) and - being a new rider - wasn't sure what the go is with regards to parking bikes.

Now......I've spoken to people who tell me "Mate.....it's a bike....you park where you want". Thing is, I'd like to at least try and do the right thing.

Firstly....what the heck do you do when the machine gives you a ticket to put on your windshield ?

Are you supposed to take up a complete car space on sections where - instead of a ticket - it's electronic ? I mean, a whole car spot for a bike ?

Parking between cars......I was concerned about them not having room to get out. How close do you guys normally park near cars ?

I'm just after a few tips for parking in case I go in again.

Peter

2.  Top
  3.  Top
  4. Thanks heaps for that. I checked out the link. Is the FREE PARKING a standard across NSW, or does it depend on the Council ? I'm stunned that you can get anything at all for free.

Peter

5. Free parking is council dependant unfortunately.

City of Sydney covers the whole metro area, free parking as long as you stick to the allotted time of car/motorbike spots.

They'll book you if they can, so letter of the law is your only option in town. Just remember that the current Govt is running a deficit, so they want your dosh :(

Parking in car spaces is risky (especially China Town), motorbike spots fill up quick as well.

Depending on where you are in the city I can give you a few sneaky parking pointers.

6. +1

One important note: Hospital Road, Art Gallery Road and Mrs Macquaries Road are under the control of the Botanic Gardens Trust and you WILL be fined if you park on either of those roads without displaying a valid ticket.

7. Yep, I rang the Council this morning and they told me that. I was actually at Mrs. Macquaries Chair the other day on my bike, and it's what prompted me to ask. The guy I spoke to told me the CBD was free parking though, which is good.

Peter

8. 1 of the joys of owning a bike, bus lanes to :)

9. it's tricky though. go up oxford st and you cross an "imaginary " line and suddenly you are in woolhara council and they charge bikes.

but park in car and bike spots in the city if it is green, for the time displayed, no worries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.