Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Bikers, Lay Off the Road Rage. You won’t Win, Ever.

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by NetriderBot, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Irish comedian Dylan Moran put it so well – people will apologise profusely if they accidentally bump into one another when walking down the street, but the slightest indiscretion while driving in a car turns people into raging homicidal maniacs. Whatever the reasons for road rage, as a motorcycle rider you’re in a far more vulnerable position than a car driver – yet that doesn’t stop many riders participating in road rage. Just remember, you won’t win in a confrontation with a car. Ever.

Thanks to the ever increasing usage of cameras while riding, we’re seeing more and more examples of car on bike road rage (and bike on car rage, too). No doubt these were happening well before the invention of action cameras, although some blame can lay at the feet or certain Moto Vloggers who get their kicks (and subsequent subscribers) out of intentionally annoying fellow motorists. But regardless of how a road rage incident starts, you as the motorcycle rider should always be the one to stop it.

Road rage has often ended in death for people and it’s usually when the to aggrieved parties get out and confront each other. Strangely when a car and a motorcycle is involved, some car drivers feel emboldened to attempt to run riders of the road despite the fact that when a motorcyclist crashes their chance of serious injury or death is many times greater than someone inside a steel safety cell.

What drives people to do this? Blame Obama, chem-trails or Monsanto. Whatever the case, you, as a rider need to take the high ground. And as hard as it can be to swallow your tongue if you’ve been wronged, your ego is far less important than getting home safely to your loved ones. Here’s a few recent examples of how not to react when it comes to road rage:

Here we have an example of a motorist who for whatever reason feels like they are endowed with the power to intervene when motorcycle riders drive like morons. Yes, the riders are riding like idiots, but that still doesn’t justify a member of the public attempting what could be described as attempted homicide at various points. It culminates in a fist fight and the driver’s spouse pulling out a gun. Yay.

This video is all sorts of bad. You’ve got the car driver who seems to be driving while on some form of drugs, with a rider endangering not only himself but everyone else with his riding. Yes, your eyes don’t deceive you, he actually does ride on the wrong side of the road to get away from the car driver. Instead of pulling over and either going the other way or waiting for the car driver to leave, he decides to carry on, albeit in a way that could have ended up with him dead.

Here’s my favourite as it involves rednecks and a motorcyclist approaching them to ask what’s going on. Here is perhaps how the rider thought things were going to go in his head before you spoke to them:

Rider: Hey there sir, what seems to be the problem?

Redneck: I don’t like the way you’re riding.

Rider: Well sir, I don’t think we were doing anything wrong. Could you perhaps relax a little and we’ll all carry on our way?

Redneck: Why I do believe you’re correct. I do apologise for my misconduct. Have a lovely day, God bless!
    The above has never happened in a road rage incident and never well. Don’t approach people as you won’t convince them of anything. Just carry on and forget it happened.

Always remember you’re a sack of meat riding a fairly lightweight machine up against two tons of aluminium and steal. You may be technically in the right, you may be morally in the right but that won’t mean anything if you end up in the hospital, or worse. Smile and wave boys, smile and wave…

Continue reading...
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. #2 Bjpitt, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    I haven't seen the first two videos before. Both the riders and drivers are one and the same, they both acted agro when feeling like they were slighted.

This is so damn true -
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yeah not a fan of road rage myself

Or the sanctimonious holier than thou motorcyclist cockheads who choose to abuse cagers for fiddling with their phones while they're stuck in traffic. Fiddle away cagers, i'll be long gone from you.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1

4. This confuses the crap out of me, why get so uptight about something that has not even affected you. The person is at a red light not moving and the motorcyclist is 2 lanes over. Sure they might not be paying attention but your hardly in any danger. Little bit different if they are driving.

I get a bit angry when cut off or have a near miss due to driver inattention, but I just breath and keep going. Lifes too short to bother getting worked up.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Are you talking about the ones that upload their videos to Youtube? It boils my blood and honestly I think half the videos on youtube are done on purpose so people can get a reaction and then upload it for the lols. There are honestly some awful, awful riders in the US who seem to feel it is their god given right to act like a moron on a bike.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Yeah but, you know as well as I that they are the same ones who read their incoming tests and notifications while flying along. We can leave that one behind but there's another dozen up ahead somewhere.
    I do NOT abuse people any more. I may give them the evil eye until they get embarrassed though.
    I DID laugh when I once overhead a hogly rider stick his head in a drivers window and ask "What's it say?"
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Most important outcome is your health and believe in KARMA
  8. Both these imbeciles were arrested , the car driver is on BIG charges

9. No win situation for the bike. Lucky he wasn't nudged and killed by the lunatics in the car.

Was a bit surprised when the car pulled up next to him the first time the bike rode away.
  10. THAT would be damn funny to have seen!
  11. Yep, bonehead rider. That driver was a but case. Best let him go at the very beginning. Slapping his mirror whilst the car was pointed at him was really dumb.
  12. Regarding lane filtering, most issues can be prevented by looking at the drivers before you filter past them. It's easy to pick out the ones prone to amygdala hijacking. Also, when taking off at the lights, be careful not to spray/flick stones gravel at cars. The carriage lines normally have lots of debris, and a stone chipping a screen or paint work could understandably cause somebody to react. If this is the case, I make sure I'm some distance way (~4 car lengths) from the group before I nail it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. So the car driver accelerated quickly because he had a small dick. All the bike driver had to do was drive normally.

I've only confronted one driver and that was when he nearly killed me - on a roundabout I was watching him approach and realised he was not going to give way so I had to drive onto the centre of the roundabout as I was turning right he went right through. He was doing about 50 never slowed down. Never got angry just said mate u nearly killed me right then. He apologised said the normal I didn't see you excuse - I just said mate I've got 2 kids and how would you feel if you killed me simply because your not paying attention.

Shit happens life's to short to get worked up over every slight.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. I rage on the inside, and keep my wits about me.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Yup, I'll admit when I first started doing ride videos some of them had me raging... they make me sick when I re-watch them... these days I prefer to upload calm rides or funny stuff... there is enough raging going on without me adding to my own stress... funny thing was, before having an action camera I never used to rage at people... they must incite the inner need to be a showoff.

These days if I see someone being moronic either on their phones or changing lanes stupidly, well I slow down and let them go away, that way I can at least see them in front of me.

I've unsubbed from a lot of vloggers whose main theme is raging and preaching to their little group of subscribers... you can have your rage, I'll pass on it now thanks.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. #16 Diff, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    My first commute to Melb cbd then a detour to St kinda and Blackburn on the way home.

A bloke in a merc on canterbury road tailgated me for about 3km, then passed me in the left lane only to pull in front of me.

I remembered this thread, took a breath and let it go. Good advice.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I've learned to laugh at the idiot's on the road. Not only do I believe it most likely lead to a longer healthier life... there's no lack of humour on almost every ride. ;)

The next trick will be to try and turn others around and make them laugh as well via intercoms. Responding to comments like "That @$#@ Jerk didn't even see me" with "Well, with a nose as large as his, he'd be lucky to see a truck", (or something better - it's a work in progress).... etc. Riding's supposed to be fun - and the more I've learned to laugh at idiots the more it adds to the fun. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Instant Karma? Should have been calmer.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. I've had a few road rage events before caused by the most benign triggers such as filtering in-front of a car or staring at them when their on the phone.

In one case 100% unprovoked the driver overtook and cut me off on a corner, repetitively brake tested me following across lanes and tried to ram me into a cement wall despite having a pillion and multiple cameras rolling...this one turned into a police report and the driver is/has gone to court over it. To date I'm still amazed at it as the police officer, myself, pillion and witness behind could not see what provoked him.

Another incident occurred where I unknowingly blocked a driver cutting across 2 lanes to turn onto a side street where he tried to get out of his Mercedes and take me on...he changed his mind when I leant the crash bars against his door!

The main thing is always be in control of the situation and have somewhere to go, be it stopping in the middle of the road or pointing the bike at gaps when stationary and not being stuck infront of the driver.
    You do not want a highspeed chase through traffic on the wrong side of the road as pictures above. If your commuting remember that the same drivers will see you again and again.

From what I've seen people in Melbourne atleast is they are highly strung up, snobby and very quick to setoff irrationally.
    Do not make a point to teach a car driver a lesson as they will hit you off and keep going, let the B-Double tomorrow teach him how to merge.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. #20 Benyamin, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    I think you're suicidal to start shit with riders in group, for example: