Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bikers are a dying breed

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by chilliman64, Sep 18, 2006.

1. When riding alone?

2. When riding in a group?

0 vote(s)
  1. what is it with bikers? I post on several forums both here in Australia and overseas. it seems that when the site members get together for a group ride, you guessed it, there's an off!

why so many offs? is it carelessness? stupidity? lack of skills? poor group ride leadership? not knowing 'how' to ride in a group?

I love riding in a group however I think it is safer by yourself. I know you are more noticeable in a group but the incidence of 'bike-only' accidents seems higher to me when in a group. your thoughts...
  2. I'm not going to submit a vote because of my lack of knowledge, but it seems as though it happens more when riders are together...from what i've heard :)
  3. Lots of sweeping statements there chilliman, although I think I know where you're coming from. Five of us rode the Christmas Hills Black Spur area on Friday afternoon, had an absolute ball and never looked like falling off..... You're attention is drawn to the rides where someone DOES fall off; how about the hundreds where no-one falls off?? And are the people on the other forum sites telling the truth; maybe they don't admit to their errors.....?

And of course, you've just bearded the crash lion in his den, haven't you???
  4. I wouldn't be suprised if there is a highly likelihood of an off during a group ride simply because of target fixation. It's very easy to keep your eyes on the bike in front rather than looking as far ahead as you can.
  5. And people are more likely to be pushed outside their skill level.
  6. unfortunately in a group, some riders ambitions outweigh there abilities as they can feel pressured to keep up with the faster guys and give em selves a scare or in the worst case they stack. i remember pulling a kid out of a ditch up the reefton spur on a cbr250, he was lucky no damage part from a broken blinker and bruised ego, all from trying to catch faster bikes on a big organized ride that we stumbled upon up in the montains
  7. Also in a group, particularly if you have an experienced rider leading other, in the attempt to keep up, others may ride above their abilities.
  8. sitting on fence yet again.....too many variables to have a definitive vote.
  9. :?: An experienced lead rider's job on a mixed ability ride is t make sure no-one HAS to keep up or ride above his or her abilities, surely???
  10. I think LPC means 'leading' more in the way they are in front of the other rider rather than the true leading of a group ride.
  11. to LEAD a group is to take an element of responsibility.
    if not, its just a bunch of solo's racing.....
  12. There's a limit to what the lead rider can do.

It's actually more important for whoever is tail end to let the less experienced riders know to take it easy.

End of the day, we're all big boys and girls. Just because someone is leading fast, don't mean you have to keep up. :)

As to bigger group rides, I personally tend to shy away a little from them, just for the number of offs that do happen. I tend to ride with guys I know. But at the same time they are fun :)
  13. Or you get some tosser riding in amongst 200 bikes who thinks he is invincible, and decides to start doing wheelies. They are the idiots that cause an accident.
  14. :roll:
    Thank you captain sensible.

I've seen a lot of accidents and a hell of a lot of wheelies. Tell me, how often have you seen a wheelie cause a crash?
  15. In my experience, more people I know have crashed on group rides than by themselves.

Pushing too hard, distracted by the lines of the person in front, playing catch-up or keep-up, getting a rush of blood... etc.

Plus, a lot of people don't do any twisties riding by themselves - and if they do, they ride behind other people rather than going in front and learning to read the road instead of the rider in front's brake lights.

Riding in groups where the ability levels are widely varied is inherently dangerous for the less experienced riders.
  16. I have yet to ride in a group. I find it hard enough just to keep up with traffic (this is improving quickly). I will hopefully join a "beginners' ride" when I know that I can confidently keep up with traffic.

On my 4th day of riding, I did a Post Learner's course at HART. The two riders and the instructor (obviously) took the corners much quicker than I did. I didn't try to keep up. I went at my own pace and the instructor was impressed with how I stuck to my own guns by maintaining my own speed.

If I ever join a group ride where everyone going too fast for me, I'll probably just quit it and get to the destination in my own safe time. (I hope I do the same even when I become an "experienced rider").
  17. Kudos, it's the right approach to take.

I don't like leaving a lone rider behind, I've been in that position and it's no fun so I drop back and ride with them. However if there is a group of riders who are going to take it easy then I'm more inclined to go ahead and ride my own ride.
  18. exactly!
  19. what the???

I do enjoy riding in a group and have done so many times without incident however from what I've experienced and read about in forums the chance of stacking in a group environment seems higher, and no I'm not talking from the experienced of having stacked. riding in a group is great when you know the other riders and their styles etc, esp when no-one in the group has an ego problem.

I do most of my riding solo and enjoy it that way. I'm responsible for my own actions and can ride my own ride, and I don't have to be constantly on the lookout for Valentino Rossi wannabees taking me out on a bend. it's hard enough looking out for idiot cagers on mobiles.
  20. Rider's will come a cropper regardless of the fact they are in a group, or out on their own.
    If you are not riding within your limits, or within the given conditions at the time, there is always a chance of crashing.
    Admittedly it does seem that this occurs more so when newer riders or riders that are unfamiliar with the road or other riders skillset are thrown in the deep end and try to play catch up.
    I ride the Spur and other twisties every week, I am a relative new rider but I am smart enough to know my limits and not try to keep up with the pack. I choose my riding partners accordingly.

Having said that......
    on Saturday at the Cranbourne ride, when we are all lined up and told.... DO NOT OVERTAKE
    it wasn't long before all the bikes at the rear were pushing in and overtaking/undertaking the lead group of riders. Because we had photoshoots marked out along the route, it was important that the formation is kept intact, so the media know who is who in the pack along the route.
    Alot of riders pushed in and we ended up about 20 bikes back than our allocated position...bike 4.
    We had to ride in the emergency lane to catch up and slot back in.
    And....what alarmed me the most..was some of them were Netriders...and you know who you are!

Tex is not keen to participate in next years Cranny ride due to the fact its so dangerous and uncontrolled compared to the very controlled Barry Sheene ride, but then again, the Barry Sheene ride this year was over 8kms long, going by the GPS in the front and rear police cars, the difference between the two was 8 to 9 kms all the way, and not one bike overtook or pushed in.