Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Biker related stories from 50's-95's from Comics to Movies

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BikerX, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Hey guys and gals, have you ever wonder about the way the multi-media protrayals of bikers in general? I have been history buff of the bikers in comic books in General, how over the years Comic Books bretray bikers as a violent anti-social behavor, or do you believe it has been "Social Re-engineering" to comform to society standards, such as anything that is different is replusive?

Or do you have a comic story that protray bikers being socialable, educated, family base that is an enjoyable read?

I look forward to a reply (Adult only replies thankyou) :grin:
  2. The only strip about motorcycles I think is worthwhile would be Fred Gassit. You could perhaps include Honest Muz from the early 80's Aust Dirt Bike mags.

If your not already familiar, have a look there. To the casual eye they may appear childish, but the endless subtleties make me re-read them over and over. Much of the detail involves what was topical at the time, and may be somewhat obscure, but the essential icons and sterotypes are still valid. Every foible of motorcycle and general society is exposed, and no one is spared indiginty. In short Fred rocks, and I wish more were produced much more often.
  3. Although dirt bike magazines aren't really mainstream regarding any artist creation, such magazines and comics that are of an interest, and prehaps to start with the most popular comic book character to feature a motorcyclists is the "Ghost Rider", which started out as a "Try-out" character in Marvel Spotlight, then move into his comic book, titled of course "Ghost Rider".

Ghost Rider was originally named Johnny Blaze, who was a stunt rider, who wanted to save his step father from death, so he sold his soul to the devil in exchange to save his step father from dying on cancer related illness, but soon after he the cancer was gone the stepfather died in a stunt related death.

To his horror, Johnny Blaze was transformed in a demon called "Ghost Rider" a vigilante that punished the wicked with his soulfire.

This depiction is a typical description of how a medium depicts bike riders in the sixties, there are depicted lacking a moral fortitude, reglious background, lack of self respect and willing to do anything to gain power, as well as a lack of community ideals.

Whereas the 1940's character which appear in Sensation Comics was a boxer named Ted Grant who dorn a "Wildcat" costume and become (of course) Wildcat, a vigilante who rode a motorcycle, and punching the shit of the lowlifes without anycare to oneself.

The only common dominator between these two characters is "there lack of self respect, and vigilante type justice"

Do you agree or disagree? :grin:
  4. Re: Biker related stories from 50's-95's from Comics to Movi

I don't think I've ever read a comic, but I can think of nothing more boring than a sociable, educated family man in one of them. "TODAY CAPTAIN fcukSTICK BUYS A NEW HELMET!" Ain't all that exciting.

That gassit dog cartoon is about as funny as a heart attack.
  5. Well, there's always Ogri, although as that's aimed at bikers I'm not sure it counts.

Bloody funny and a good lampoon of UK bikers and biking though.
  6. Come to think of it, there's also Gruf, Nob the Destroyer and the Righteous Bros, all aimed at bikers as well. Much less consistently funny than Ogri and of lesser artistic merit, but still worth a look. There's a compilation book in existence that sometimes surfaces on Fleabay.

The main reason the Righteous Bros cracks me up is that it used to appear in the UK H-D mag Heavy Duty and was wildly popular. As it mercilessly took the piss out of the archetypal H-D wannabe, who made up the majority of the mag's circulation, it confirms my theory that 99% of Harley enthusiasts have a limited capacity for self reflection :wink: .
  7. What about Stripperella, shes a stripper by night with a scooter and by day she is a super-hero and the scooter transforms into a bike.

Its a creation by Stan Lee and has Pamela Anderson as the lead in the tv series.