Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Biker dobbed in on UK forum

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mainstage, May 16, 2013.

1. #1 mainstage, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    Brotherhood or not ?

Speeding biker jailed after being ousted on forum
    Biker goes in search of knowledge ends up in jail
    Posted: 9 May 2013

Andrew Kelly was caught at 122mph on his Fireblade
    A BIKER who joined a fightback forum to try and avoid being convicted for speeding has ended up with a jail sentence.
    Andrew John Kelly, 37, joined the forum to find out whether he could get away with the Notice of Intended Prosecution for 122mph in a 70mph limit in North Yorkshire last year. Kelly wanted to know whether he could continue to avoid the NIP letters and get away without charge.
    Kelly attracted negative attention on the forum by bragging about how he previously got away with a parking fine by producing a fake invoice from a recovery service, claming his car had broken down. His comments about the parking fine and his want to get away with the speeding charge provoked a backlash from regular forum users, who notified the police.
    During police interviews, Kelly told police that the rider of the motorcycle was a prospective buyer called 'Richard' however police seized his motorcycle gear which matched the clothing being worn at the time of the offence and Kelly then admitted he was riding at the time.
    Kelly, who posted in the forum as 'Andyroo' said: “This forum is a waste of time. Don’t make me laugh. Next you’re all going to tell me you never told a lie?”
    Kelly was sentenced for 8 months in total, four months for each count of perverting the course of justice in relation to the parking fine and also the speeding offence. He was also given six penalty points for the speeding offence.
    Traffic Constable, Zoe Billings of North Yorkshire Police, said: “He has no one but himself to blame for the situation he now has to face."

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/speeding-biker-jailed-after-being-ousted-on-forum/22738.html#ixzz2TS5U9knp
  2. Serves him right, he won't open his mouth so quickly next time.
  3. Ain't no cure for stoopid...
  4. What he did was stupid but no driving offense should result in jail time. I can think of one possible exception to that being killing someone while DUI...

Kobo :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. No kidding...What about parking and speeding which is what it stemmed from. He was just trying to get out of DRIVING offenses. When this shit comes up I always think back to that poor young bloke who went to jail over parking fines and ended up dead. DEAD - over fcuking parking fines. Get real...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Perverting the course of justice is not a driving offence.

And that is where his stupidity continues. The maximum penalty for the charge of pervert the course of justice is 14 years imprisonment. Is a parking or speeding offence worth the potential consequences?

Crimes Act 1900 - Sect 31.

7. .... That name is familiar.
  8. i can think of a dozen things that fcukwits in cars do around me every day that could kill an unseen fellow road user.
    and that dose'nt include "speeding".
    most cagers should be put in jail.
    and some of them should just be rounded up and buried in mass graves.
    in fact, the first cager i see today. i'm just going to punch him in the face.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Indeed, the jail time was for perverting the course of justice, not for the speeding. 122 mph on a UK road would get you perhaps a 6 month ban. A lot of points a big fine and no ban is even remotely possible if the magistrate is in a very good mood.

This story is similar to this case of trying to get out of a speeding fine and ending up in jail for perverting the course of justice.

moral of story: there is very little that is worth risking a charge of perverting the course of justice.
  10. ^ creampuff.

I thought the moral of that story was try and have a less bitter divorce.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The first rule of perverting the course of justice is don't talk about perverting the course of justice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I don't feel for this guy at all. If you are going to speed which I'm sure all of us do at some stage in our lives then you have to accept the consequences if and when the law catches up
  13. A good lesson for the rest of us.

You never know who is reading these public forums.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I disagree.

My sister, her husband, and my niece were driving to pick up my nephew from the airport when someone who was 4 times over the limit, passed out at the wheel & not wearing a seatbelt smashed in to them. It wrote off their car, caused them severe distress with my niece having nightmares since the event, physical injury that means they will be going to physio for the rest of this year.

The person that drove in to them, when he was woken by the ambulance paramedics, laughed hysterically.

Although no-one died, i strongly feel the driver that hit my family should do jail time. It's had an ongoing effect on my family so should have an ongoing effect on him too.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. I doubt that the idiot in the original post realised the consequences of perverting the course of justice. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't think that his acts would be considered perverting the course of justice. Remember he's obviously a moron.

edgelett I understand your depth of feeling here but prison is a dire and dreadful place and the drunk that caused your family so much grief should have been banned from driving for life and fined to the maximum of the law. He should also have to attend counseling/A.A. meetings.

MONKEYMAN you need to seek help. Most motorcyclists are cagers too but we are just better at it than cager-only types.

16. when i become president of Australia (sp?)
    i will block all the heavy arterials with special busses. herd all the cagers aboard and send them of to be gassed in special camps
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

17. I feel bad about this - that I didn't have a chance to dob him in myself... :whistle:
  18. I'm right there with you mein fuhrer.

If you're serious please go to your local police station and hand in your license. YOU are what is wrong with motorcycling. Kindly do as stated above and buy yourself a beige cardigan on your way home.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1