Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Biker dies in crash with bull

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by vic, May 9, 2005.

1. 09may05

A MOTORCYCLIST has died after hitting a bull in Melbourne's outer west.

Police said the 33-year-old man was riding on Dohertys Road, near Derrimut, about 6.15pm (AEST) yesterday when he struck the bull.

Both the rider and bull died at the scene.

The man's death takes Victoria's 2005 road toll to 139, 15 more than at the same time last year.
  2. Seems like not a good year 2005... many people crashed already.
  3. Victorian police have named a motorcyclist who died after hitting a bull in Melbourne's outer west yesterday.

Police said Steve Caruana, 33, of Hoppers Crossing, was riding on Dohertys Road, near Derrimut, about 6.15pm (AEST) yesterday when he struck the bull.

Condolences to the family.
  4. [Trying not to sound too heartless and callous]

At least he took the bull with him.

There seems to be more and more of these every day. What are we doing out there peeps :?:
  5. Condolences indeed.

My uncle hit a bull in an old exo-caged landrover (ever seen a landrover with a concertina shaped chassis?) and it destroyed the vehicle (not to mention the poor bull :( )
  6. What is a bull doing on the road?? It's just such a pointless way for someone to die.. really sucks.
  7. Condolences to the family
  8. News reports suggest that the council was contacted as early as Thursday about wandering stock on the road but no action was taken.
    That's just criminal! :x
  9. reply

Condolences to the Caruanas and their families.

Vale to another rider.

Will be very interesting to see how the local authorities try to get out of this. I'll bet they will blame the cocky whose cattle/bull it was.

Just goes to show how close some riders have been. A few moths ago, we had a ride down here and our lead riders came upon a couple of half grown cattle on the road. We were lucky they saw them. They hurt when you hit them. We have had a couple of instances of horses getting hit as well. In the country lots of animals get on the roads.

On Sat I nearly hit a flock of parrots. I don't know what would have happened, but after the ticker settled down I looked out a bit more.

10. Re: reply

My understanding is that the owner of the animal is responsible for it if it gets out of the paddock unless it can be proven someone let it out or it is a marked cattle crossing location (hence all those under road tunnels being built for dairy farms).

There's nothing like coming around a corner on the Heyfield-Licola Road to find a herd of cattle being shifted (mind you the fresh cow poop on the road for the previous few km's told me something was ahead).

It certainly made me think for a while considering the number of members who call that part of the world home when I heard it on the radio at 6:30 this morning.

Condolances to the family and friends.
  11. note to moderators

Note to Moderators. :evil: :!:

Please note, in my post I referred to 'c0ckies' or 'c0cky' They are 'cow c0ckies', or a 'cow c0cky', farmers to you lot. :evil: :evil:

It is a common bush term for a farmer.

It was not an offensive word!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. reply

Yes pvda, you are right, but if it is shown the farmer could not have known or was not negligent in that his fences were of sufficient standard, then he will not be held responsible. If it is shown that the fences were crap, so to speak, then he might be in it up to his neck.

Could be someone broke the fence or left a gate open etc, who knows?

From what I heard on the news tonight, the council knew there were cattle out. Whether they acted properly is yet to be shown.

Apparently there have been lots of cattle out in that area.

Our local ranger is diligent and comes around fairly quick. They herd the cattle into a paddock asap and then find the owner.

Still, it is real sad for all involved.
  13. the bike must've been red
  14. Condolences to the Caruana family.
  15. not funny
  16. C'mon nobby, it was kinda funny. I thought this thread was a joke originally. Not everyday someone hits a bull. My condolences. Time to pay attention, it seems.
  17. Like many of you when I first heard I was terrified it may have been one of our members as there are many from that neck of the woods but at the end of the day it was a fellow rider therefore a member of our extended family who lost his life in tragic & unnecessary circumstances hopefully those responsible will be held accountable!

Deepest condolences to family & friends.
    Vale Steve.
  18. Got a phone call from my partner whos enjoying herself on the murry . She didnt get the whole story just heard werribee and bike and freaked out thinking it was me .
  19. Condolences to family and friends of the rider.

Apparently, beside poor fences to the property (alledgedly...as the report showed several fences with large holes in them but don't know if these were on the property where the bull escaped from) there have been numerous complaints about the state of the road and many calls to upgrade it. The news report show edges of the road were in bad state of repair with soft edges. One of the friends of the rider also said that the road was also poorly lit (from the report didn't appear to be lit at all as there was no evidence of street lights).
  20. The road surface is not that bad.
    The edges however are pretty average.
    Lights? what lights? oh you mean the ones at the 3 roundabouts that line that road.

The problem is whilst the road surface is generally ok, it is now starting to show signs of wear because of the increase in traffic.

Hoppers Crossing, Tarneit, Truganina are all new suburbs with thousands of new homes being built.

Sure they widened the Westgate FWY 3 times to accomodate the traffic in/out of the city but they have failed to do anything about the roads leading into the Whyndam area.

There are only 2 lanes coming off the Geelong FWY that services all the areas above including Werribee.

People use these backstreets more and more often.
    Hence the reason why there have been 4 collisions with cattle in a week.

Farmer Joe is just not maintaining his fence lines. Most of the fences there wouldn't even hold back a strong gale.

I feel for this rider's family, it's a pointless waste of a life in it's prime. Condolences