Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Biker dies during police chase

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Mendy, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Very very sad. The driver blew 0.14 and was an accident waiting to happen. The pursuing police van wasn't showing lights or sirens.
  2. The driver will be done for manslaughter.

But this is another reason why police pursuits should not happen, another innocent victim killed.

How else could problems like this be solved you ask?

Pro-actively. Stop every driver on key main roads leaving areas where there is drinking. But of course 'that would require more resources'.

Poor guy :(
  3. Not to get on the conspiracy bandwagon, with the media's anti-motorcycle bias and all, but is it just me, or have they intentionally made the headline read like it was the motorcyclist running from police? Should have been "Drink Driver kills Motorcyclist in Police Chase" or similar.

My condolences to the bloke and his family. Sometimes, even when you do everything right you still get f*&$# by an asshole with no respect for anyone but themselves. In a ute too, says pretty much everything you need to know about the perpetrator. Wonder if it's this guy: https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=116966 ?
  4. Bad news I'll say, it must be a tragedy for the riders family.

What else needed to be discussed in the article is what role did VicPol have is causing this death. If the chase had been called off would the rider be still alive?

Will this death count as a road toll stat against us when it is likely VicPol caused it?
  5. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...e-divisional-van/story-e6frf7kx-1225954074837

If, as suggested, the Police van did not have it's emergency lights on yet and being 10:40PM the drunk driver wouldn't have known he was being "chased".

This means there's a fair chance that he would've rear ended the bike anyway.
  6. Keep the discussion on the police chase and its pitfalls and it is not a rider down thread.
    Makes me angry the end result.
  7. I'd be more inclined to blame the ute driver. He wasn't actually aware he was being chased.

Shit happens. Shit shouldn't happen. Don't drink and drive. Don't drive like a retard. The end
  8. This seems to be correct.
    The plod saw the ute speeding, started following and the ute hit the bike only 600 meters ahead before the plod would have started the process of pulling the ute over...
    It's common for the plod to follow a short time before pulling a road user over.

Can't rely on news paper headlines as they're always printed to turn heads.
  9. Just heard on radio that the driver had five previous drink/drive convictions and had a current warrant outstanding.
  10. May well be the case, but why are VicPol releasing this to the media? Are they trying to white ant the driver to deflect blame?
  11. Yes, that's a really bad, misleading headline. Whether it's deliberate or illiterate we cannot tell, though.
    The media cannot use your (apparently truthful) option because it would prejudice the court case.
    I have to add that the few facts we have don't really point fault at the police this time.
  12. The police are quoted as saying "No lights or sirens were used in the pursuit which lasted about 600 metres, police said"

That's what they would say. I wonder what the driver’s version of events is. VicPol lie, put spin on events and the media print it without question. I think we need to keep an open mind to what actually happened because it seems a bit to coincidental to me that the crash happened straight after the VicPol started to chase.
  13. I'm surprised they didn't call off the chase 500 metres before the incident occurred due to fears for public safety. If I had a dollar for every police chase which conveniently and coincidentally was called off just moments before a fatality I wouldn't need to play lotto anymore. Or maybe I'm just too cynical for my own good.
  14. Thing is, with Police safe driver policy, there are a couple of points to note:

1. Once someone comes under police notice and/or has their ability to come and go of their own free will, they are, technically, "in custody", whether stopped/spoken to/followed etc. This then, by extension, would appear to be a death in custody;

2. If, as the Herald Sun states, there was a "pursuit", the same safe driver policy dictates that lights and sirens must be activated. If they were just "following", as opposed to actively trying to stop, different story. Regardless, the fact the emergency signals weren't activated will be part of the investigation and coroner's brief.

Whichever way it swings, it's a tragedy. If the lights and sirens were on, might the rider have taken a different position on the roadway, thus avoiding the collision?

Many lives and families will be busted because of this one arsehole's decision to drive drunk...fry the prick. :censored:
  15. What can we learn from this incident as motorcyclists? One thing this tragic incident has reminded me about is to keep an eye on your mirrors. I'm not speculating about the incident, but it reminds me that as a rider, you have to know what's behind you as well as what's infront. NR has a few threads where noobs have admitted to not looking at mirrors while being totally forward focussed. This is NOT acceptable. Look at your mirrors!

The incident is tragic and made me angry when I heard about it.

I sincerely hope the beige cardi set don't take this as another stat to demand greater enforcement against motorcyclists.
  16. Of course police pursuits should happen. You cannot allow people to run from the police knowing that they will get away. Delayed capture is not good enough (e.g. note the plates and get them later).
  17. Id have to say that its just a case of wrong time wrong place... Extremely unfortunate and I hope the driver goes away for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time
  18. As far as the reporting goes, I've registered a complaint with the ABC news web site. The story is headlined Police investigate fatal motorcycle crash and starts off -

Police are investigating the death of a Mooroolbark man whose motorcycle collided with a vehicle that was being followed by police.

There's an implication there that the motorcycle was the one instigating the collision...
  19. I'm all for complaining to the Abc. What's the address?

TAC can also blame the motorcyclist. RIP