Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

bike wont start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Snowman, Oct 24, 2009.

1. hi guys, i jumped on my bike 5 minutes ago and it wouldnt start, i get one click from the bike and nothing. pretty sure its not the battery as its quite new and was charged up a few weeks ago. the last few times ive started it its done similar but it started after 2 or 3 tries. so is it the stator solonoid thing? is that what its called i cant remember. if so are they cheap from a wreckers?

LOL nearly forgot to mention what bike it is, its a ZZR250 - sorry if ive left any info out but ive got to run lol, cya guys.

2. Clean the terminals & retighten. See how that goes.
  3. I pulled apart the thing that was making the click (whats it called??) and the fuse was fine. when i put it back together it would start about half the time and just click once the other half, so i pulled it apart again and sprayed a tiny bit of WD40 in the connectors and wiggled them around, let it dry out, and now it seems to be starting every time.

So thanks for the suggestion, but do you reckon this is a temporary fix? maybe i just brang it back to life for a short while? i guess time will tell, i think ill park it on hills for the next few days so i can roll start it :rofl:

It probably got dirty from that massive dust storm we had =/
  4. I was talking about the battery. Sounds like you cleaned up the solenoid (?). If it was then it would probably be best to replace it.

But like you said, park on a hill. :driver:
  5. yeah i think it was the solonoid, the battery terminals are fine too. we'll see how it goes.

cheers mate
  6. How are your headlights? do they go really dim when you try and start?
  7. It was the battery terminals.
  8. And you know this because?
  9. As irritating as his brevity is, he's normally pretty close to the mark with this stuff...
  10. The click is the solenoid (aka relay). There is enough connectivity to carry the current for the primary of the relay, but not enough to carry the secondary and the big draw of the starter motor.

Had a bike with a tendency to do this.
  11. checkmate.

12. Wasn't trying to be smart. I just didn't have a lot of time when I wrote it.

Posted because it is likely to happen again and the OP should know for next time.