Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike wont start in gear

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Fionn, Jun 22, 2005.

1. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. Chris,

The first thing that comes to mind here is that you have a faulty switch somewhere on the clutch or gear selector. Many bikes (although I am not entirely sure about the VT250) have a cut out switch fitted to any of the clutch/gear shifter/sidestand to prevent you starting the bike in gear with no clutch and the sidestand down.

I don't remember any such intelligence on my Spada, but that should be a good starting point for you

Simon

3. The cutout switch on the Spada (VT250L) appears to only be on the clutch lever. Mine will happily start in any gear with the sidestand down and the clutch lever in.

4. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5. Thanks templemonkey, it looks like you need to check the operation of the switch on your clutch Chris.

6. My old VFR was the same. That's just the way Honda likes it (in some cases at least). I asked a sparky if it could be changed, and he said "sure, buy another brand". :?
    Can be done, but it's a fair bit of trouble.

7. this may sound stupid, but you need to have the clutch in to start it in gear! :p
    other than that there should be switches on the sidestand and clutch which may be faulty. the sidestand one should be fine if you can start the bike normally though, so i'd be looking at the switch on the clutch. hope this helps! :D

8. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx