Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike won't start - battery on way out???

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Gromit, Jun 18, 2007.

1. This morning my engine turns over when I hit the button, but not quickly enough to fire.

My first thought was that the battery could need replacing but when I put a multimeter on it, the reading is 12.03v.

So why's the engine only turning over sluggishly? It's cold this morning but not that cold.

The bike fired up perfectly yesterday afternoon, although I did have the ignition on and off a few times (tracking down a loose horn connection).

Old battery + cold weather + drain from having the ignition on yesterday? But why the 12v reading if the battery's underperforming?

Any ideas?
  2. Starting is all about Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). A batteries NO LOAD voltage may be 12V but the capacity left in the battery will determine what it will give. IF you put your meter on while you are cranking you'll probably find the voltage drops below 9 or 10 V for a good battery and 6V for a dead one. I once ahd a car battery die overnight, it started fine to get home then next morning (in winter) it wouldn't even light up the ignition lights :cry:
  3. Sounds like I may need a new battery then. Thanks. :)