Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike wont start - 2005 CBR600RR

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by acasta, Sep 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi All,

Having some problems with my bike, and love some help diagnosing so I can get it going again!

From what I can tell, the bike starter motor is turning, but the engine isn't catching.

Honda CBR600RR - 2005
    30,000kms
    Bike is 3/4 full of fuel, fuel is probably 1-2 weeks old.
    I rode it twice for ~20min last tuesday (6 days ago) on my regular commute
    Started it 1 day ago (just to move it in the garage), and it did a little sputter. Not sure if it was just an off start, or a symptom.

I've tried push starting it from 10kms with no luck.

I took a video of the cluster and multimeter when starting:

It sounds like the fuel pump is working, and no error codes are showing
    I've put a multimeter on it. When bike is off it reads 11.8V, when starting it dips to 8V.

Anything else I can look at?

2. Sounds like the fuel pump is priming. Could be so many things. I'd say u need to start pulling it apart. Take tank and air filter out and squirt ether into inlet while trying to start it. If it runs u have a fuel delivery problem.
    If it doesn't pull spark plug out and see if it is getting spark.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sounds like Winter might have caught up with the battery.
    Try jump starting it from a car or one of those jump start packs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Yes I would try that, although it sounds like it is cranking OK those figures on your multimeter are a little low for normal operation. As pwbikepwbike suggests try and jump start it see if that helps.

5. Thanks for the replies all!
    Ok I'll start with this here. Would you expect this, even if I've been riding all winter?

Benny, I think my battery is charged? Is that just read off the multi meter? I'm thinking the stater is cranking, but the engine is not.

Battery was replaced about 6-12 months ago.

6. Charge should read 12.6v
    charge.JPG

7. The 8V reading when cranking seems very low. I can imagine the fuel injectors not firing and the ignition not firing at such low voltage.
    Perhaps the starter is failing and causing abnormally high current draw with consequent voltage drop?
    It's very hard to know without being there to observe and test personally.

But since a jump start is easy and doesn't involve pulling things apart, it's a good place to start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Quick update:
    Tried jump starting off a car and it didn't get going. It did sound like the starter was running faster/harder if that makes sense.
    There is air coming from the exhaust when trying to start

9. Check fuses and relays. Connections to battery, starter, frame/engine ground.
    You must be missing either spark or fuel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. on a scale of an idiot being 0 and an expert being a 10, I'm somewhere around 0.5-1.0 so take my comments with the disrespect they deserve.

I agree with pwbikepwbike, I'm thinking it's a fuel issue. do you have a fuel tap? is it open? what happened last time it actually started? on the last run were there backfires or rough running? you seem to have a lot of fuel in the tank, did you fill up where you normally do? could there be water in the tank?

I did some googling, hope these help:
    I found this helpful answer from a motorcycle mechanic on JustAnswer.com

next one from here

1. Open throttle fully.
    2. Press start button for 5 seconds (ur bike wont start if ur throttle is fully open because the electronic control module cuts off the fuel supply)
    3. Now start ur bike like u would normally do.

best of luck!

• Informative Informative x 1