Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike won't run cleanly

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bosco, Jul 7, 2008.

1. I'm in a spot of bother, and well really pissed off at the mo over it...

started the bike up this morning (RVF400), was running fine, putting my gloves on etc, as i pushed the choke down the idle went to normal but then after 10 seconds it just dropped before cutting out.

It wouldnt start after that, had to bump start it a few times, before finally getting it running, but now its running as if its on 3 cylinders.

I have not had a proper look as i've had to rush off to work
    anyone got any ideas as to what could be the problem or what to look for?

I didnt even pickup my breakfast or lunch because of all the drama....

Thx in advance!
  2. It's a Honda, so it's probably the voltage regulator :roll: :LOL:.
  3. Does it clear up when you rev it?
    Have you done the idiot check and checked fuel/reserve?
  4. Doesn't clean up when revving, fuel tap is fine... first thing I checked.
  5. What do you mean "its running as if its on 3 cylinders"?

Either it is, or it isn't.

If it is it will have markedly less power.

If it is, chances are it's a bad spark plug - they can easily fail, even in a 4 stroke, at any time, but especially when cold and choked.

Alternatively, you could have a fuel blockage to one carb. Undo all the drain screw, drain into a clean container, and check the qualitu of what comes out.

All the best

Trevor G

PS If a cylinder is not firing then that exhaust pipe won't get hot. If they are all hot then you are probably running on all 4.
  6. replaced the battery and now all is fine :shock:
  7. mate id have a look at your regulator, have the bike running, get a multimeter and check the voltage at idle and then hold the bike at 3000rpm and see what voltage is being pushed through the battery. I've had issues in the past when i was riding cbr 250's. The regulator would go and charge at over 20v @ 3000rpm, would hate to think doing 110k's for an hour :( so yea check that youre battery isnt being killed. because even if the bike will crank over with a stuffed battery thanks to being over charged they still wont start :(