Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike won start after filling up, leaking petrol.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by 2ds, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Just thought I'd share a story with you guys, someone else may find it useful.

Filled up the new bike at the petrol station for the first time today, while I was paying I looked and saw this girl checking out the bike. I was nodding my head and thinking to myself "yeah it's a pretty hot bike isn't it"

I come out of the station to see what she is really staring at is the torrent of petrol leaking out of the bike onto the ground.

I swear and wheel the bike out of the puddle and into a parking space to see if the leak gets worse. Nope it's stopped. I wait a few minutes and try to start the bike, it turns over 3 times and then refuses to do anything.

After walking home and doing some research on the internet and talking to some people I find out that the float in my carby is stuck (there could be dozens of reasons for this).

I am assuming the cylinder flooded with petrol and that is why it wouldn't turn over.

After getting a lift back to the bike I turn the fuel tap to off, put it in 4th gear and wheel it backwards to clean out the cylinder after this the bike starts perfectly.

Hopefully this story might save someone else alot of hassles ;)

2. Ha! Something very similar happened to my bike, I made a thread about it and everything, its going good now tho.

How does wheeling it backwards help? :?

3. pulls backwards on the cylinder to remove excess fuel sitting on top of the piston.. i think.

4. Going backwards won't really do anything unless there was only a little fuel above the cylinder. I'd be more inclined to think that while the bike was sitting, the fuel drained past the rings and into the sump. Time to check your oil!

5. thats what happened to mine, oil was full of fuel, it gushed out like water when i drained it =/

6. Must have cleared something because it wouldnt' crank at all before I did it.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure I ask them to check when I take it back tomorrow to get the carbs checked out.