Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Wiki

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Wanderer, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Some time over the past month or so, someone posted a link to a bike wiki site (which I lost) and I think got lost when the forums were restored. Does anyone remember this and if so, could you post the link. :?:

2. That's it! Everyone participate! It has/is being developed by a friend so I have vicarious vested interest. Any feedback - good or bad - please post, and I will ensure he gets it.

(note: there is an rss feed link at the bottom of the page, so you can include that in your feedreader to be made aware of any updates that happen!)
  3. Gromit and Boz,

Cheers - its been drivin' me crazy trying to find it.

4. Sorry what's a http://www.biketome.com/. I have had a look at the site and I don't understand what its about and what its for. :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

and what does/is a Bike WIKI :roll: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I hope its not going to be one one of those Homer DOH moments by me when its explained

Cheers 8)
  5. A wiki is a online knowledge depository. It is a place where any person can log in (after they register) and contribute their knowledge about a specific topic, OR if they do not agree with what has been written they can change it (will get back to this soon).

The purpose of the bike wiki is to give riders the opportunity to comment and provide details about their bikes, experiences, etc. One problem with many online bike databases is that it is just facts, bike tome tries to go beyond this by allowing people to also tell people the 'practical' side of things. Reviews in magazines try to be objective, but every review has an author, and any author is subject to personal bias. A wiki will allow a rider to input information that they think is important about anything - a spot for this knowledge does not have to exist because you can create it yourself.

The common criticism of wiki's is that anyone can change what someone else has written. So what's to stop a person from deleting an existing excellent and detailed explanation and replacing it with 'HI'? In short nothing. However, the bike tome wiki does keep track of past versions so if this happens they can be restored. But the actual fact is that wiki's rely on the masses to ensure that the information is reliable and valid.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page for probably the best example of a well supported wiki.