Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike weights

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ponygirl, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Hi, I am looking to buy my first bike and rather than a particular make or model I'm thinking I need to buy one that I am able to pick up when I drop it. I am 5ft 4 and am a bit confused in regards to dry weight and wet weight. I assume I need to be looking at wet weight. Any suggestions?

2. Get a VTR250. With the right technique, you'll be able to pick up most bikes. The VTR is just a good one.
  3. Dry weight is simply the weight of the bike without any consumables. So you can imagine that it'll take a litre or two of oil, how ever many litres of petrol the tank holds, few litres of coolant (if water cooled), typical weight of a battery and whatnot and have a rough estimate of the wet weight.
  4. Technique

Can I ask what the right technique is?
  5. I made a douchey video about it a while ago:

The wider the handlebars, the better the leverage you can achieve. We did a dropped bike workshop a couple years ago where even the tiniest, skinniest girls were eventually able to lift up a 650cc V-Strom, which is a huge bike.

Perhaps we should run another one sometime.
  6. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about whether or not you can pick up a dropped bike on your own. Like Loz has pointed out, technique can get you surprisingly far but there are still bikes out there that noone but a 300 kg gorilla is going to get upright without assistance.

More significant is whether you can manouver it around safely if (say) you need to paddle backwards out of a parking spot. In circumstances like that, low seat height and a low C of G count for at least as much as light weight.

But then, who am I to talk. I am that gorilla. Although having to pick up my R1100RT a year or so ago indicated that I'm getting a bit old and creaky for that sort of thing.
  7. Dont worry about picking up the bike.being a girl there will always be some guy willing to help you pick up your bike.As long as you are comfortable riding it and can handle it get the one you like :wink:
  8. The first 12months i dropped my bike more times than is comfortably remembered.Most times someone assisted me before i had a chance to even realise...i have done it again!
    I weigh 48kgs and my bike is 260kgs before counting alot of stuff in my saddlebags.
    The times i dropped her in my driveway and no one was around i was unable to get her up despite watching a video and have hurt myself trying

I will keep in mind the video Loz posted but hopefully my dropping days are over.It's been over 2yrs without mishap.
    Always have your mobile on you in case you get stuck :)
  9. #9 the_blacke, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

Take a look at this - lady showing another lady how to pick up a dropped bike... good to watch (though I'm too scared to lie my bike down to try it!)
  10. Loz, you are so sexy in the video....
  11. if you are worried about dropping it get a naked bike with oggy knobs, bar end sliders and swingarm spools/sliders. not much good being able to pick it up if its too bent to ride.
    might be better spending your money on a training course with slow riding though.
  12. What sort of riding do you plan on doing?

In terms of weight there are certainly lighter bikes around such as the CBR125 but once you're bored of lapping Nuggets it's not really going to be suitable for the open road. The dual sport (trail) bikes are also a bit lighter if you're interested in some off road riding although these are quite tall.

I agree with Loz, that in general, the VTR 250 is probably the pick of the bunch to learn on.
  13. Great Video Loz!
    I especially like this one:
    Comes handy for me as I'm always having to wheel my bike around to face the other way in the garage, once I've arrived home from work.
    Thank You mate!
  14. Don't drop the bike...

Not everyone does, mines never been on its side and im not a tame rider.
  15. Yep this is handy but there is a big thing for watch out for when you do that. Is not to lift the back wheel too much(different hights for each bike). Coz if you do the side stand will fold back up and the bike will fall asleep. It has happened to me before. Luckily I put my knee under the tank while it was falling so the bike was resting 45degree to the ground on my knee.

One other thing is make sure that the stand is on solid and level ground...
  16. I understand ur frustration, I've been there many times with my VTR250 & considered myself "a weak chick" for not being able to pick her up...

When the frustration got too much, I took myself on a visit to c Loz. He assured me I'd be able to pick up my bike first go. Of course I doubted that thinking i needed muscle power. Post demo sure enuf I pick up my bike. Sure it was a little heavy, yet that's expected with 150kgs plus my mind telling me it too heavy!!

I re-tested the theory in reality a few mths l8r when I made the silly mistake of parking my bike on a slightly hilly nature strip @ a friends place. First I had to watch my bike slowly fall onto its oggy knobs as I ran to not stop it :shock: then I thought np, get comfy, position bike, & lift. I almost dropped her right over the other side lifting her up :LOL: Moral of the story - Loz's method works ever time, trust it & urself

+1 to Sweeris - I love spinning my bike on its stand, I don't back out of anything anymore unless I have to :)
  17. Thanks everybody for the advice, also on type of bike to buy in the first place. Now I need to save my pennies and can't wait to start riding. Loz if you ever do want to do another info day (maybe next year) I'll be there.
  18. This is a real problem. Can't people see past my beauty, through to the substance of the videos?

Ponygirl, gimme a yell if you're down in Melbourne anytime with the bike.