Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike vs Sun

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by bulby, Jan 17, 2013.

1. With today being quite the scorcher and the bike sitting outside the office & under direct sunlight for the whole 8 hours, I can't help but wonder if there is anything I should watch out for apart from sizzling seats frying my bums.

Used to have access to a basement garage. No such luxury with my new job, unfortunately.

2. There's was another thread last week, if it's really hot the road can melt under the kickstand and topple the bike. Depends on the type of road.

3. The sun will eat your paint pigment and your plastics. That's why I use a bike cover in summer but generally don't bother in winter.

4. Thanks. I'll look up that other thread :)

5. Change job?

6. LOL. With the massive jump in salary compared to previous job, for doing pretty much the same thing, I'm actually planning to stay a while :p

Also, I think I found the thread smileedude referred to. But it didn't tell me what I want to know. Though admittedly, I wasn't very clear about my concerns for the bike itself. So my question stands. What else can prolonged exposure to direct intense sunlight do to a bike? (Other than hot seat and melted tar)

edit: sun bleaching effect noted

7. Fair enough.

Without seeking to be unduly unkind, a '98 GSX250F ain't going to suffer too much from the sun.

A bit of white toweling cloth taped onto the seat and you'll be fine.

It's when or if you decide to get a seriously flash and expensive bike that you really start wondering about leaving it out in the sun, and the public gaze, all day every day.

8. Kinda wish someone would steal my Across so I can get the insurance monies. I might be asking a bit much though. LOL

Reason I'm asking is I am actually planning to get a flash new bike sometime in the near future. And that flash new bike will be sitting at pretty much the same spot as the Across. Other option is to sneak into one of them carpark buildings, but the nearest one is 2 blocks away. Not very keen on walking that far in full gears + laptop on my back.

9. Older plastics usually aren't as well UV-stabilized so they will cop it - the main culprits would be the switch gear and instrument surrounds.

If your tank is not sufficiently venting then vapour can pressurise the tank and cause issues.

Again with the fuel system, especially on an older bike (not EFI with a nice atmospheric test during start sequence) you may get trouble with hot starts and fuelling at low RPM.

But hey - at least the tires will be nice and sticky :D

10. I get a bit of vapour in the tank which makes an annoying hiss sound. Just pop the fuel cap and it goes. Might not be doing any harm but it annoys me.

+1 on a cover and a cable to secure it through the front wheel.

11. Aye, being serious, while the sun all day everyday isn't doing any good, you'd be more worried about the thing still being there when you want to go home.

Perhaps a cheap old commuter bike as well as the flash one?

Many years ago, I had just bought a Turbo 750 Kawasaki when they were considered fairly flash, and I started work for a mob with an office in North Sydney.

My office had lovely harbour views, and, while I wasn't a big enough boss to have a car space under the building, I could hid my bike there.

Anyhow, the mob decided to move out to near Maquarrie Uni.

"You can all have car parking spaces in the (open) parking lot."

So I left.

• Like Like x 1
  12. i just got back. thomastown to st kilda. 2 rest stops for drinks and cool downs along the way... bike ran at 100-107 degrees most of the way across town...

I noticed either the carbon fibre or the alloy underneath has warped and is hanging off the side of the bike... hopefully will correct itself as it cools... at the moment theres a significant gap opened up.

I touched the frame for a second and have burned my figer.... i guess thats what happens when you touch 110 degree metal....

13. i just got back. thomastown to st kilda. 2 rest stops for drinks and cool downs along the way... bike ran at 100-107 degrees most of the way across town...

I noticed either the carbon fibre or the alloy underneath has warped and is hanging off the side of the bike... hopefully will correct itself as it cools... at the moment theres a significant gap opened up.

I touched the frame for a second and have burned my figer.... i guess thats what happens when you touch 110 degree metal....
    [​IMG]

14. Confirmed. With the wet shirt under vented jacket trick, I was not too busy battling heat exhaustion today and for once I could notice and enjoy that seemingly unlimited grip :D

Re: bike covers, wouldn't they act like a sail in strong wind and increases risk of toppling over ? I guess I just can't win in this case, can I? A new job is starting to sound like a good idea now... LOL
    That or I can always go for a motard. They look good sun-bleached and dirty anyway :peace:

15. I just had to replace the seat cover on my Breva. I've had the bike just under 2 years and it sits outside at home and cops the sun all day coz I work night shift. I bought a leather two tone cover and added an extra layer of foam before putting the cover on. Looks good and only cost me $70.

16. Yes, I had the cover on the DR pull it over on one occasion. Pseudo dirt bike though, so no damage. It's part of the reason I often don't use one in winter. It's just a question of judging conditions on the day and deciding whether cover or no cover will be more beneficial at the time.