Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike vs Semi? Not today thanks..

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by DragonCypher, Mar 23, 2010.

1. So thisafternoon on the way home from Tafe I was travelling down a nice quiet road, and out of a small side street to the right comes a semi (no trailer attached). He slowed down and indicated left, which shouldn't affect me at all.
    I continued at 60km/h but moved a little left in case he took the corner wide as most people do there.

Then out of nowhere at the last second he just drove straight ahead, crossed both lanes and headed straight into the dirt....after a split second WTF moment I realised it was way too late to stop so I ended up swerving off the road and around the front of him, barely missing his front bumper before returning to the bitchumen.

I pulled over straight away so I could look back to find out where he went but he was nowhere to be seen.

I might have been better off going around the back of him due to the speed he accelerated infront of me, but had he slammed the brakes after seeing me I woulda gone straight into the rear wheels... not my preferred ending to the day

I still can't work out why he went straight ahead through a T intersection.. other than just being a complete dlckhead.

2. google maps please.
  3. You did good to avoid an accident. That would have been scary to experience. I try to keep well clear of trucks, they seem to drive like idiots (especially tip trucks).
  4. Lost his brakes. Probably detached the trailer and didn't get a good reseal on the connector.
  5. Yeah sounds like the numerous retards on the road that have that similar head problem!
  6. Who knows? Truck drivers do some funny things at times. I must admit that I am always a bit "leery" sharing the road with those big muthas. Especially since a ride I did to Newcastle a couple of years ago. I was coming home down the F3 (yeah, I know, I hate it too, but I was in a hurry) and I'd just pulled out to pass a truck with a dog trailer when the rear tyre of the trailer exploded just as I was level with it.

To say that I was shocked would be an understatement, and doubly so when a huge piece of tread came flying off the carcass and hit me in the left shoulder.

I try to give them a wide berth these days.
  7. Very well done on avoiding the crash! You're lucky to be alive.
  8. Where was the sun in relation to you? Was it behind you? The reason I ask is that it is possible he 'lost' you in the glare.
  9. I thought truck brakes were held on by springs and off by air pressure? So if their was no air pressure the brakes should have been hard on. Correct me if I am wrong.
  10. DOH!

You are correct.
  11. In all seriousness, he may actually have been really trying to injure, maim, kill you.
    Shocking though this concept may be, this truckie may have a thing against all 2 wheelers, or maybe he overdosed on whatever the truckies use these days and had a psychotic episode.
    Sometimes the simplest explanations are the way to go.
    But, congrats on not becoming fresh road kill. =D>
  12. You watch ACA don't you?
  13. I love the fact he thinks this is the simple solution and that a loss of brakes is just too complicated.
  14. I think the simplest solution is that the driver, for whatever reason, just didn't see him.
  15. Simple solution ... his/her foot slipped!

Glad you're still with us

16. It's possible that his Indicator could have been his "Hazards".

Either way, good to hear it was a miss.