Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike trip! :-D What tools/spares to take?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Sir Lancelot, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Greetings all,

We're going on our first big bike trip - only a couple of weeks, but big for us - and I'm wondering what people recommend in terms of tool kits to take in case of... bike not working correctly scenario. I'm also wondering whether if something goes wrong, we're better off finding a local mechanic instead of worrying about trying to fix it ourselves, if indeed we can.

So what would you recommend in terms of (1) tools? (2) spares, like plugs? (3) anything obvious I'm missing? So far I have a very basic tool kit (spanners, screw drivers, allen keys, pliers etc) as well as a tyre repair kit... anything else useful and obvious? Anyone had any experiences and come away saying "...don't forget THIS!"?

To put it in context, this is 2 weeks in the Flinders Ranges :)
  2. Tyre repair is probably what you are most likely to run into that can be fixed on the fly. The rest of the bike is so complicated its hard to bring any spares that you will have any use for. Better make sure the bike is 110% top before you leave. Replace clutch/throttle cable if any any doubt on them. There should be the basics in the toolkit that came with the motorbike.
  3. And chain lube ofcource!
  4. Possibly the most useful spares to pack are fuses and bulbs. A length of electrical wire can sometimes come in handy, and a can of WD40 is essential. Electrical problems seem to be what catch most people out, after of course damage from dropping it. For the latter a spare clutch lever can sometimes come in handy.
  5. Something to change globes, tighten loose mirrors, WD40 can fix dodgy switches, phone numbers of places along the way, something to clean your visor.
  6. Fresh tyre repair kit with spare worms and cylinders. Dont trust Supercheap refill cylinders as most are empty as I found out. A slime puncture kit is a good last resort for stubborn leaks and comes with a small electric inflator.Bike tool kit and a real life saver is some 2 part epoxy like kneadit. Zip ties and electrical spares as mentioned above. Dont forget a small torch.
  7. Electrical/cloth tape has been handy to tape thngs on if something breaks. Can also protect paintwork from damage from luggage.

The suggestions above are seconded too.
  8. Tyre pump. A bicycle pump will do. A length of rope. If you are going as a pair/group then you can be towed. NRMA/RACQ/RACV membership can be useful.
  9. duct tape, cable ties, spare nuts, credit card, roadside assist membership.
  10. If its moving and shouldn't, gaffa tape the bastard!
    If its not moving and it should, spray the **** with WD!

Have fun,

11. ask a few people from NetRider to come along. Then you will have heaps of tools !

badda bing badda boom I'm here all week try the veal
    • Like Like x 4
  12. What bike are you riding to the Flinders Ranges, and from where? (I assume some type of dual sport bike :-s)

I did the Flinders Ranges earlier in the year, mostly off road all the way from Wagga, then return.

Most the tools have been covered already. Just make sure you can use them and can fix a flat (both front and rear) with what you carry. (I'd suggest practicing this without using your shed to make thing easy.) Make sure you have a way to lift each wheel off the ground or you will need to lay the bike down.

Take 'Quick Steel' to patch any holes in metal (also good for fuel/oil tanks) and if you have a plastic fuel tank, take a block of soap... this will block any small leaks/splits.

Other things for the tool bag:
    tow rope/strap,
    50cm of spare fuel line,
    two stage push bike pump (gas cyls do run out or are duds)
    Valve stem remover (front tyre cap)
    Zip ties.
    spare spark plug/s
    Joining link for your chain (plus a small flat file)
    Carry a spare front tube (even if you have tubeless) this can also be used in the rear tyre also.

Other info: get the phone number for the Royal Flying Doctor Service for that area; and keep it on you.
    Carry cash in the Flinders... no ATM's.
    No fuel at Blinman! (Angorchina Village is the closet fuel)
    if you don't have Barkbusters, then carry spare levers.
    I'd recommend a decent bash plate too.

Usually alot of people getting around out in the Flinders, unless you go up a goat track.
    I rode alone when I was out there and only carried a mobile phone & a UHF radio. (if you go remote: carry a sat phone or spot tracker)
  13. replacement parts for anything that often breaks and incapacitates your motorcycle if you drop it. Its shit if your in the middle of no where and you stop to take a photo on the verge and your bike sinks into the dirt and falls on a rock snapping your clutch lever.

Also bring tyre repair kit, basic tool kit, big zip ties, duct tape, if your going for weeks, chain lube maybe in a small can.
  14. Wow! Many thanks for all the replies! I now have quite a comprehensive list to put together. Shopping to be done. Like the Gaffa / WD40 combo! And as much as I appreciate the "just bring some Netriders", it's probably not going to be feasible :p

We're heading out from Melbourne and taking our time to get to Wilpena Pound. On the way back we're heading through the wine valleys! Should be a good mix of riding & bush walking. I also hear Pitchi Ritchi Pass is amazing.

We'll be doing this on a Bonneville & Breva. I imagine that will limit us as to how offroad we can manage, but you can be sure we'll try! We haven't had any issues with the bikes yet, and they've both been through servicing, so hopefully dropping is the only probably risk of breakdown. Maybe punctures too...
  15. I strongly recommend buying a Camelbak(tm) or equivalent for bigger rides, to help stave off dehydration. (See last summer when a local friend and I neglected to take our water packs and after arriving at the next town we staggered into the supermarket and virtually inhaled 1.5 litres of water each) That way you can sip a bit of water as you go without having to stop or find potable water.

I've started carrying a small medical kit with me on rides too. Touch wood I haven't had to use it myself, but twice in the last 18 months I've been on rides where someone else in the group needed first aid while we waited for an ambulance to arrive.

Tubeless tyre repair kit. I carry a 12V tyre pump on my loooooong interstate trips, as 3 of those little CO2 cylinders is only enough for something like ~15-20psi. i.e. barely enough to limp to the next town where hopefully they have an air pump. In 60,000km on the Tiger, lots of that interstate sports-touring, I've needed it twice.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Does anyone know if there are solutions for repair of punctures of tyres with tubes? It has been mentioned to me there is a solution whereby the tyre does not have to be removed, and instead some sort of fluid is pushed through the valve - does this make sense to anyone?
  17. Ah, I hear this is "tyre slime". Next question - is this a temporary repair? And suitable only for thorn-like punctures?

Similarly, once a tube is patched, is the tube then reliable, or is it a temporary patch until it can be replaced with a new tube?
  18. Im curious, what bikes are you taking, what are your accommodation plans and what types of road are you planning to travel on? I've found these can effect the amount of gear you can carry, especially if you're camping.
  19. To be honest, if you're going bush you really need to familiarise yourself with removing the wheel and tyre, and carry the tools to do it. There are many ways a tube can fail and I wouldn't trust slime to fix them all. Learn to use a patch kit and carry a spare tube if you can.