Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

bike transport - ute?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by swiifty, Feb 4, 2010.

1. hi im looking for some ideas on transporting my road bike short distances (1hr trips,etc) - basically as a backup plan if i have a burst tyre or something

so my old man has an AU ute and with some planks we could get it on the tray easy enough but im not too sure how to secure it properly? use some sort of solid bike stand then rope it down?

2. Invest in some tie-downs.
    They look like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MOTORCYCLE-T...ccessories?hash=item255884d66e#ht_1053wt_1165

You attach two of those to each side of the handlebars (ensuring they're not crushing any cables on your bike) and then pull them down till your front suspension is compressed. Tie a knot around the loose cable after you've pulled it down.

Then thread some rope around your rear wheel, tying that to either side of the ute. Make sure your stand is up and the bike is in the centre of the tray, with the front wheel against the front of the tray.

That's how I transport my dirt bike anyway. Hope this helps!
  3. I use a modified trailer for longer trips (1200klm). Whatever you use see if you can get some sort front wheel holder, as that allows you to hop off and strap the bike down on your own.
  4. bike trailer. best thing you can have. no rego costs. just sits there. mine folds up. can keep it for a lifetime and sell it for almost what you paid
  5. I have a large trailer and I put the bike in the middle of it with the front wheel in the front left corner and locked (but you can have it standing upright as well). Use 2 tie-down straps at the front and make sure the front suspension is partly compressed. Use tie-downs or a rope at the rear.

6. I own a ute but I agree a bike trailer is much much easier. Loading a bike into a ute doesn't work very well unless the bike is small and light.
  7. Utes are great. I don't know how I ever got by without one, but it is a lot safer to load a bike with 2 people.
  8. seems you bunch have no idea. :)

i have a BF ute (same tub as the OP's AU). i manage to load and unload the bike (2004 R1) myself without any issues.

items required: ramp a minimum of 1.8m long, 4 tie down straps, couple of occy straps, and one of those handle bar strap thingo's.

put the bike straight in the middle of the tub, front wheel up against the front wall. handle bar strap where it belongs, then tie down straps off that, down to the front corner tie down points. the remaining 2 straps are run off the pillion pegs to the rear tie down points. these take a lot of the load off the front forks. i compress the suspension about a quarter (approx 25mm) front and rear, and that's all that is required.

to get the bike into the ute, walk the bike up with it in gear and the motor on. when it's in, turn the motor off and leave it in gear. to get the bike off, pull the clutch in and use it as a brake lever (in reverse). the reason is the front brake is useless due to the tyre having NO GRIP on the Ford's tub liner (plastic). when putting the bike on and off, be smooth, patient, and have someone spotting you the first couple of times just in case.

if you're worried of the front wheel turning, you can run a rope from one front tie down point, to the other, via a "hitch" around the rim/tyre. i use to do this, but found it wasn't needed.

lastly, use the two occy straps to pull the tail gate up against the rear tyre, running the straps from the cable mounts to the rear tie down points (will make sense when u look at the tailgate)

this method works, and i will happily show it to anyone.

9. You can also get folding alloy ramps now for around 120 bucks from Bunnings or most bike shops
  10. Hey everyone, this is my first post, really glad I came across this forum. Been reading your comments on transporting via ute and found them very enlightening. But I'm still a little unsure, I'm about to purchase my first bike and wan't to get it right. I looked at those strappes on ebay and they look really good and I will grab a set of them (Thanks jacksbowel).

Your method sounds really good and I was wondering if you could maybe show me a picture or something just so I know exactly what you mean.

Thanks heaps for your help so far
  11. The reason I prefer a trailer is that they are lower than a ute, loading a bike onto a ute solo requires one being tall enough to reach the bars as the front of the bike goes onto the rear of the ute and being able to step up into the tray.

I might be able to manage that with a ute like yours but my tray ute is considerably higher than yours.
  12. It's easy as, bro!

13. The handle bar straps are $70-00 each, Fits over the ends of the bars, and then you tie down from them, No damage to any thing then. Not sure where to buy them off hand, but are available over the counter in Melbourne some where. I had them on my bird when I brought it home on a bike tow truck,
  14. Handle bar strap is $35. you then require normal tie down straps (or rope, etc) to hook onto the handle bar strap. see link: http://www.bumpstop.co.uk/images/Handlebar strap Small.jpg

goes on like this: http://www.bikex.co.uk/acatalog/handlebar_ties_ducati.jpg

If steping into the ute is a problem, get yourself an old milk create, turn it upside down, and put it on the ground as a step into the ute. problemo solved. my mate is considerably shorter than I, and has no worries using this method.

I will post pics of the bike in the ute, next weekend (when it's next in the ute).
  15. Try and get tie downs with a carabina or at lest swop any open metal hooks for Carabinas and make sure the ends that attach to the bike have a long soft loop end,the fabric loop goes on the bike and does less damage connected away from the bike,hard to describe.The bar end type tie downs are called canyon dancers,I haven't used them but I hear good thing,especially for bikes with fairings.Pull them down on the front snug but dont go nuts,you can blow fork seals if you go to hard,I used to use and old plastic 4 litre oil container between the front tyre and the guard on the dirtbike,obversely not on a roady
  16. #16 Morbo28, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  17. thanks for the info, looks like tiedowns+handlebar straps is the way to go.

also its a large aluminium tray on the AU so could probly fit 3 bikes haha
  18. #18 IF1960, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  19. [​IMG]

Try youtube, lots of videos there on how to load a bike into a ute/truck.
  20. Try not to compress the fork and suspension if you are doing long distance. Try not to tie to the footpeg cos it might snap. Tie to the swing arm instead, tie the front wheel as well. Best to use a wheel rail & chock which you can either buy it or make your own. Here's the link if using a trailer:

Video: http://www.ehow.com/video_5538517_tie-down-motorcycle.html

This one I copy from the website:
    Step 1: Once bike is in the truck or trailer, wrap soft loop around base of Left handle bar and place hook end of strap through soft loop and secure other hook of strap to secure spot in truck or trailer, pull slack out of strap and ratchet a few times, repeat for Right handle bar.

Step 2: Once both Ratchet straps are in place, tighten each snugly so that bike will sit in the upright position on its own. BE SURE TO NOT COMPRESS THE FRONT FORKS, SERIOUS DAMAGE MAY OCCUR TO SUSPENSION OF BIKE (see owners manual).

Step 3: Now for the rear of the bike. Find a stable member of the bike and wrap soft loop around and secure in same fashion as front (because each bike is a little different there is not just one specific spot to wrap the soft loop.)

Step 4: Periodically check tightness and condition of straps and load before and during trip, to ensure stability.

Step 5 Optional: The use of a wheel chock is a great security feature for your bike. If you choose to use one position straps so that they are pulling the bike in the forward position against the wheel chock.