Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike to Bike Radio comms

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Markyp, Feb 11, 2011.

1. I am looking for a little advice and help

My partner and I have and use a pair of GME 680 3kw handheld radios to talk whilst riding. My unit connects to Starcom1 unit which also connects to my GPS and iPod and has rider to pillion connection as well. My partner uses a simple PTT switch and headset with mic also from starcom.

I would however like to increase the range and am looking to now attach an antenna onto my bike to try and increase the range. I am however unsure at the best way to do this. The GME does have a removable antenna so i do have the option to fit some type of coupling to the radio.

Has anyone done something similar and which type of antenna would be most suitable? I have no idea about antennas and there are just too many out there to choose from?

2. I suppose the first question is:
    What's your limitation on range caused by?

If you're normally riding in the middle of nowhere on flat ground with no trees or hills, a handheld UHF radio can achieve upwards of a few kilometres range and a higher gain antenna could potentially improve that by focussing the transmission energy in a flatter plane.

If you're normally riding in very hilly areas and the issue is that you cannot communicate with the other bike because they're behind a hill, unfortunately there's not a whole lot that can be done unless there's a repeater on a hill nearby you can both "see" - UHF is very much a "line of sight" transmission which can't punch through solid rock.

I've added an external UHF antenna similar to what the NSW Police use on their motorcycles and cars (in all seriousness, completely by accident. Apparently they shop at Dick Smith Electronics and Jaycar too. :p

Normally I use the little 3+1.5dB whip, but for interstate touring I'll sometimes switch to the 6.5+1.5dB whip because it looks hilarious. ;)

To connect the antenna required a little adaptor, which reduces the total gain unfortunately. Ideally the correct connection would be soldered on.
  3. 30 years in the Comms game.

Any external antenna, properly installed, will significantly increase your comms range. The radio you have is a little over half the legal power limit for UHF CB so power is not your limiting factor, 3 watts/ 5 watts not much difference.

Spots is on the mark, get an external antenna and mount it properly. You can get GNR dipole antennae (groundplane not required) which will probably be best for you.

4. Garry, u still in the game and have a shop?
  5. Marky

I have the connectors to go the GME and also carry the RFI CD-51 ground independant 4.5dB aerials that go brilliant on a bike. The aerial is a copper braid inside a nylon tube so no breaky =D>, and only 250mm high.

I run this aerial with a GME tx3420 and Starcom1 Digital setup.

Aerial with lead and connector for the GME =$70, youll just have to work out how to mount them

Dale :angel:

PS forgot to add, make sure the rado's are set to "HI" power and mounted as vertically as you can
  6. No just on the fringe now sorry but looks like supply is covered by above person.
  7. I am in the process of fitting a GMC 200 FM radio on my bike,its the smallest radio with an aerial plug I could fine,I mounted the 250mm aerial with a ARB,the off road bunch, stainless angle bracket to behind the right front blinker stem,took some fabricating but so far even in my steel shed reception is very good.Ha Ducfreak,I am thinking your the bloke who set up my mates K1200s BMW with his coms gear,your test bike a Darma,he is very happy with his system,BTW the above arial is on my Laverda,not looking forward to the abuse from the brotherhood about this,love pissing them off