Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike stutters after oil change

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ek801, Dec 27, 2008.

1. hi all

recently changed the oil and filter on my 2002 CBR900RR and when i took it out for a ride, the bike was stuttering bad, especially at low revs. also, the engine seemed to have a lot less power than what i had before the oil change :(
    i used motul semi syntethic oil but the manual says to use mineral oil. is it because of this? what other reasons could there be?
    the bike was absolutely fine before and i cant wait to get it back on the roads

any info would be much appreciated
    thanks guys
  2. It will have nothing to do with the oil change.
  3. Are you sure you put the right amount of oil in?
  4. thats what i was thinking jd. Too much oil would cause these symptons(At least it does in a car, ask my brother)
  5. thanks for the reply guys
    i checked the engine oil level and it was at the upper line on the glass panel. I'll be taking it to my mechanic to see what's wrong tomorrow.
  6. Is the oil level the same for both pre and post oil change?

Maybe empty some oil out so it's at the middle of min and max levels.

7. Just making sure as well, with the oil level, when you checked it was the bike even ie not on a side stand
  8. hi guys

yeah.. the bike was on a race stand so was not leaning over.
    Drained some oil so it was in the middle of the two lines but still the same problem. I guess i'll just have to see what my mechanic says.

Thanks for the reply.
  9. Chances are you knocked something while working on it.

Is this the first time you have done the oil change yourself?

Did you have to take anything off the bike to change the oil, other then the sump bolt?

Have you tried checking all the plug leads are they attached properly?
    take the plugs out and check them, look if they are all in the same condition (Black or white, corroded or in good nic).

Take a look at your loom and make sure all wires coming of it are plugged in and not earthing out.

Let us know how you went.