Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

bike stored for 2 years

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Raie, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Hi all,

I was wondering what you would need to do to a bike that has been stored for 2 years? I found a 2007 honda VTR250 freshly listed on bikesales for $4.9k that's done 7.6kkm and stored for 2 years. From my reading, battery would be dead and tires probably needs changing but can anything else be damaged and need tuning up? Would this bike even be worth looking at?

Here's the link if anyone wants to see
  2. gosh, how long is a piece of string?

my advice would be to get someone to go and have a really good look at it

'garaged' doesn't mean anything if it was a lousy garage
  3. You would have to flush the fuel system as well maybe rebuild the carbs. Also oil and coolant (if it's air cooled). After that you would probably be ok except if the tank had rust which kept getting in the fuel lines.
  4. How long is a piece of string?..twice the length from one end to the center..too fark'n easy...if only everything was as easy as solving that useless statement of trying to quantify stuff :p
    Next challenge..Yup, the battery would be stuffed after so long with no ergs going back and forth to it.
    The tank may have rust,what fuel that was in there will have gone off..it sucks moisture from the atmosphere..hence the check for rust. Drain and inspect it,get rid of the fuel filter,it will probably be gummed up.Drain the carbies and clean them out too..possibly gummed up with fuel residue.
    Inspect the brake hoses,change the brake fluid (front and rear) and check the operation of the brake pistons..they may have rusted.
    Drop the oil and replace the filter.
    Clean and check the chain..after two years I would be inclined to replace it..if it was well lubed it may be in good nick..if in doubt,ditch it.
    Inspect and replace as needed everything made from rubber..yeah the tyres are probably shot from sitting on them unless she was put up on stands.
    If that sounds like too much effort,then keep shopping.
    However..I would use this list of things to do as a lever to get the price down.
    Being the horror that I am, I'd dump a bottle of Metho in the tank and hook her up to a fresh battery to see if it lives..and take it from there.