Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike storage

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by cygnus, Nov 7, 2009.

1. So, it looks like I'll be out of action for a little while, maybe up to 3 months. I was wondering what's the best way to store the bike. I just had a major service done to it as well, and a new rear tyre. So, what's the best way to preserve the bike if I can't ride it? (I might be able to get someone else to ride it for me every now and then, but that's not a guarantee). Also, what will I need to check / watch out for when I get back on it 3 months later?

2. Invest in a battery tender, a good cover and fill the tank up before "parking" the bike and you'll be fine.

Sydney's climate OK, so quick check of tyre pressure when you get back, and should be fine to go
  3. I'm about to do the same and my mechanic said not to worry about filling the petrol tank. Petrol goes off and its better to be able to put fresh petrol in asap. According to him premium goes off even quicker. He also said to put the battery on a trickle charger and put the bike up on stands or put 45lbs or so of pressure in the tyres. In the latter case see if you can get someone to move the bike occasionally to move the part of the tyre touching the ground. If it has carbs drain the carbs. I'll also put a cover over mine.
  4. Fill tank to stop rust, remove battery and place on tender or trickle charger. Place bike on centre stand (or move once a week). Store in garage or buy a decent cover, lock up if necessary.

Lastly, I'd pull the plugs and put a teaspoon of motor oil into each cylinder. Kick it over for a few revolutions and then put the plugs back and leave the bike while you go away.

Alternatively, just put on a centre stand and start up once a week for 10 minutes. This will let the fluids warm and cool, and ensure that the bore and piston rings don't corrode (what the oil does above).

Cheers - boingk
  5. Wouldnt the tank inside rust or the carbs from not having petrol in there?
  6. Call BS, two stroke no doubt, but modern fuels IMHO fine - have a trail bike that rarely gets ridden (couple time a year) and no issues starting

The idea of filling it up is to reduce condensation that may form in the tank.
  7. 3 months is nothing. I wouldn't do much.

Petrol does go off, but I'd still fill the tank to help prevent rusting. Use standard ULP with no ethanol.

Drain the tank and use the petrol in the mower when you want to start again.

Check tyre pressure at start up.
  8. Yes, you're completely right. I'm thinking in terms of what I'd do to my current bike if I stored it, and it has a plastic inner and outer tank. For a metal tank filling to the top is definitely the go. (have changed post above to reflect this)

I still reckon that battery will need some attention, because without some charge cycles it'll sulphate up in a few months.

Cheers - boingk
  9. I've been told (by 40+ year bike mechanics) that petrol can go off in as little as 2 weeks.. regular 4 stroke premium unleaded.
    The mixture seperates leaving a lighter fluid ontop and some chunky white powder on the bottom.

Cars dont seem to notice it, but bikes do, and sitting it for a while then starting it up can suck some precipitants into the carbs and block the jets.

I reckon... fill it to the top + add a cap full of 2 stroke oil (extra rust prevention)
    + drain the carbs

Then after a couple months when you return, drain and refill the fuel.. Its only like $10-15 worth for a tank, hell just put in regular, its not like you're gonna use it.
    And then if you have a car, throw the fuel in there. That way it isn't getting wasted (y)

10. does that mean that leaving the bike unattended for 4 or 5 weeks will be fine?
  11. fine. An older battery might not like it and you should check your tyre pressure, but anything up to about 2 months that's all you'd have to worry about.

2-6 months I'd worry about rust in the petrol tank

more than 6 months I'd worry about the quality of oil and maybe start to think about oil lub on on start up.

More than 1 year I'd worry about the hardness of my tyres as well as cracking.