Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike stalling

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by jaypee, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Hey Guys and Gals.. Hope someone can shed some light to my motorbike issues..

I ride a 88 model VT250 - spada.

Very new to bike riding - still on my L's

When I go for a semi-long ride.. ie more than an hour.. the bike seems to start revving weak, when on a stand still and will occasionally will stall.. it will start okay.. and i just need to rev it a bit. and it will go okay.. for a while.. but still rev weak - until it has a decent rest.. the bike seems to warm up.. quite a bit.. but the temp gauge keeps low..

The taco also seem to go out.. every now then.. meaing it doesnt work at wall.. need to tap it a few times.. to get going...

hope someone can help..

2. Tacho problem is a loose electrical connection: follow the wiring to the plugs, clean away any obvious dirt or corrosion with spray can electrical parts cleaner, followed by a little WD40.

Stalling.... assuming the idle speed is not too low- about 800-1200 is okay.... your issue could be either fuel-related or electrical.

Check you battery terminals for tightness and if possible have the battery and regulator/rectifier checked for output. You might as well throw in a new pair of spark plugs and maybe get a mechanic to look at the old set as they might point toward the problem.... but really if the problem goes away electrical problems are less likely.

For fuelling, make sure the air filter is clean and the lines are okay: clamped and secure. After that you're looking at pulling apart the carbies (or at least checking the pilot jets), which I wouldn't attempt until you have a more distinct problem.

A simple service could eliminate the problem.
  3. Thanks mate.

Hopefully is not major.
  4. I'd be either giving the bike a basic service including plugs and filters, or waiting for the problem to become more pronounced/distinct.
    Let us know how you go.
  5. agree on the service.
    chances are everything is gummed up.
    maybe a simple service will enable it to breathe better.
  6. Sounds to me like a fuel tank vent issue. Next time it does it, try opening your filler cap. If that works, blow out the vent line with compressed air.

Regards, Andrew.