Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Stalling at idle...

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Gibbz, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Hey Guys,

My bike has recently started stalling when pulling up at the lights. It seems to idle to low when slowing down sometime and it just stalls.
    So when im at the lights I have to rev it to keep it going sometimes.

Could using premium petrol affect this?

My bike is a old SR185.

Any ideas?

Cheers

2. Some premiums have chemicals in them which clog up spark plugs and carburettors. Invest $5 in a new sparkplug, if that don't work, take the carb off and (carefully) clean it with carb cleaner spray (NULON is a very good brand).

3. Unless you (or someone) bumped your idle knob? Not sure about your bike, but mine had one near my left knee. Get it started then turn it to raise the revs.

4. Yeah I agree, sounds like you need to raise the idle speed. Find your idle knob and turn the idle up. On my bike clockwise is raising idle and anti-clockwise is lowering the idle.

5. Yep was the idle knob.
    Much easier to ride now that I dont have to worry about stalling :)

Cheers!

6. Short answer, yes. Premium could do that, and did do it to my old GPX. Bump up the idle, or just use regular.