Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike shops that don't plan

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by peter-reebok, Jul 24, 2007.

1. General vent.

Been planning to get a new rear tyre.
    Only get one day off a fortnight, so have to plan it.
    Rang the local Suzuki dealer 2 weeks ago, and booked bike in for new rear tyre for today.
    Even rang yesterday, and confirmed.
    Rock up at 10am this morning, only to find after waiting 1/2 hr, that they actually don't have a tyre for me!
    Expected next few days!.

Really pissed off, they offered a different brand, should be in by 12.
    At 5pm. it wasn't in yet.
    So, hope it doesn't rain too much in the next 2 weeks!.

So my day was messed up just waiting by the ph.
    Because they have shite planning!.
    Won't name them, but how many Suzuki dealers do you reckon are in Ferntree Gully!

Imagine if I bought the M109! Won't find that tyre anywhere easy!
    Anyone have some alternatives for me?

2. You bet!! Get one of your friendly local Netriders to take the bike to another shop for you, buy the tyre you want and then send Sucko Suzuki a photocopy of the receipt :LOL:.

3. I am yet to find a good Suzuki dealer, let me know if anyone finds one. Even my one where I bought my bike has stuffed me around in the past month when I had a long list of things I wanted for the track bike. Instead I have now got most of it from eBay or Peter Stevens who gave me excellent service.

4. This is an example of why I shop online all the time these days. Shit arrives soon after I buy it and it is always in stock. Usually at the same price as retail WITH SHIPPING, or cheaper.
    And bike shops biatch about having to fit tyres they didn't sell...........sell me what I want or I go elsewhere.
    I tell you, it would be so easy to set up a great bike shop that had an excellent name, it would just take customer service.

Regards, Andrew.

5. Amen to that!!!! If I had heaps of money, I'd do it!

6. Sadly more and more of these dealerships employ monkeys in order to pay peanuts.

Where they should be looking at is places like Netrider where people are "enthusiasts" and turning them into sales people rather than some pimple faced, oily skinned dickhead that is there to simply pass the time.

7. I'd love to work in the industry, but, sadly, I only love bikes and riding, and have no 'experience' :(.

8. Good customer service doesn't take retail experience Paul, it's just being courteous, listening to the customer and trying to match what they want to what you have in the store/can get in.
    Cash registers/eftpos and computer systems take bugger all to pick up, an enthusiast in the area of service is far more important than actual retail skills, in my opinion.
    Just don't work for a large national parts chain, all you'll see is pallets. :roll:
    And Vic is right, you can blame senior management at these stores for the piss poor service, they employ minimum wage people, why should they care?

Regards, Andrew.

9. i always buy the tyre (rubber). take of the rim and take it to a my local shop/wrecker and get them to change it for me on the spot.

10. Hi Peter .
    What did they say they were going to charge you for a new tyre and what brand did you go for ,also how much to change it .I was told $100 for the rear as it's a shaft and takes along time. :shock: .
    I'm up for a new front tyre soon ,I can see the tyre wear markers just like a cars ,but can't tell if the back needs to be changes ,it got no wear markers like the front , :? .
    What am I supposed to look for ????.

I got 9000km ,on the bike .

Cheers Sled. :)

11. hey pete why didn't you go to treads & things, normally the cheapest in town and always great service........

Yep i have ordered quite a few parts through this place, personally if you are happy to call them to check if parts have come in. (otherwise you can wait a couple of days for them) they normally get the parts same day or the very next day so there ordering is normally pretty good, it's the calling to collect that is a bit average.....but apart from that i find them very helpful IMO.

cheers stewy

12. Sleddog - They quoted 175 for the tyre , 25 for the fitting.

One of my problems is my complete lack of time. I manage a car yard.
    We are open 6 days a week, and 7 days for half the month.

I just cant get to these places unless it is my RDO.

On the bike shop front, My experience in the car industry is that if people know you are actually helping them, they will put with almost anything (except bad service)
    They don't care that you cant work the till, as long as they get the right change.
    They don't care if you don't know how to use a computer, they are happy that you will take a walk into the spares area, and SEE FOR YOURSELF if we have that part, or pick up the phone and just get it from somewhere!

They just want what they came in for!
    The problem is that if you are any good, and grow, eventually, all the people with the passion for good service are 'assisted' by others on minimum wage and 'a job'. The original reason why you were successful goes out the window

13. Can't SOMEONE take the bike to a reputable yard FOR YOU, and get it done while you are working? Sheesh, what's Netrider for if not to solve exactly these sorts of problems?

{Someone might even volunteer to scrub the tyre in for you as well :LOL:}.

14. Gee, The courier was meant to be there yesterday at 3 pm.
    As at 6pm on day 2, we are still waiting.

Fortunately, I can stop off there on my way to work.
    To their credit, they have offered to start work early when they get the tyre, and fit it while I wait.

15. finally got the damn tyre fitted this morning on the way to work.
    Interestingly enough, the OEM tyre that was supposed to be on backorder turned up, so I opted for that one, since I was happy with the performance of it.
    Yep, quite slippery coming out of the dealership, but that will get better over the next few days.
    After I got to work, I let it cool down for 3 hrs, and went and checked the pressures.
    Should be 36 PSI, but they actually put 31PSI in it. Glad I checked it, as that is a considerable difference. You would reckon a Suzuki Dealer would look up the pressure on a Suzuki wouldn't you! Apparently not.
    What a debacle!

16. finally got the damn tyre fitted this morning on the way to work.
    Interestingly enough, the OEM tyre that was supposed to be on backorder turned up, so I opted for that one, since I was happy with the performance of it.
    Yep, quite slippery coming out of the dealership, but that will get better over the next few days.
    After I got to work, I let it cool down for 3 hrs, and went and checked the pressures.
    Should be 36 PSI, but they actually put 31PSI in it. Glad I checked it, as that is a considerable difference. You would reckon a Suzuki Dealer would look up the pressure on a Suzuki wouldn't you! Apparently not.
    What a debacle!

17. You wouldn't go to a Brain Surgeon for a sore foot so why not go to a Tyre Retailer instead of a dealer for tyres??

18. Lesson learned!.
    (But I was going for an OEM replacement.)

19. Hey, & some brain surgeons can't even do that right. icon_lol.

Twice I've gone to 1300Kawasaki & twice I got my bike back in worse
    condition than when it was dropped off. thumbsdown.

The last time it took me 1 km of riding to realise that they had fcuked
    up the handling characteristics of the bike (after I brought it in for routine
    service) AngeryHit2.

Will never happen a 3rd time. In fact I no longer even use Kawasaki
    dealerships.

Not necessary.

20. Raceway Suzuki in Niddrie. Sales. service, parts etc... yet to dick me about and that includes parts for my Honda....