Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Self-Service Classes????

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Tikyo, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Does anyone kno anywhere i could learn more about my bike, such as workshops and self-service classes? I live in Sydney, lower North Shore area. Any idea of how much these classes cost aswell? Cheers

2. no idea but if they don't exist it's a great idea...
  3. Try local community centres or TAFE. Also check and ask here for advice on NR :)
  4. Buddy up to a mechanic or bike fanatic :cool:
  5. Try the TAFE at Gore Hill, behind Royal North Shore Hospital (lock your bike in this area!). Some dealers (Sydney City Motorcycles?) offer 'free with purchase' basic courses though I doubt they cover much more than oiling the chain. You could join a club (horror!). Even car-oriented educational stuff helps. Get the Haynes manuals (Electrical, M/C Carburettor, Workshop Practice and Motorcycle Basics) and read them. Check what your local library has as well.

Either do all the work on your bike yourself and you'll learn (oh you WILL learn) or else get an old bike and do it up: get something plentiful, with a good manual available, and be aware you will lose money.... but you'll learn.
  6. pay someone to do it..... who can be bothered really.
  7. It's odd that I seem to be opposing this elegant philosophy?
  8. I'm doing a 2 day motorcycle mechanic course 10am-3pm both sundays in march at st george. $100.

I don't have the details on me but i just googled the search. Otherwise PM me.
  9. To everyone except
    this guy~

Thx for your help~
  10. well really whats a short course going to teach you? im a fully qualified car mechanic of 10 years and im still learning everyday. what do you hope to acheive in a two day course other than chain lubrication and checking your oil? the reason i say pay someone is that ive read a similar thred before RE maintainance courses that people were dissapointed with because they didnt learn much.
  11. True, but awareness of what to look out for (therefore limiting risk of being ripped off by potential unscrupulous so-called 'professionals'), how to do basic checks, terminology etc may just be what a person may wants and needs. It could save a person heaps in time and money. No-one could expect to do one of these courses and know it all, that would be obvious. Many riders are interested in mechanical aspects of their machine.
  12. i'm in brissie and i've been trying ever since i got my bike to find something similar up here.

i can find a tafe college that has a full-on mechanics course but all i want to know how to do is the basic every ride / every week checks. i want to ensure that i am doing the best i can to be sure that my bike is running well - and that obviously (for me anyway) will include having the bike regularly serviced by a qualified person.

i'm not particularly mechanically-minded or skilled - but i am convinced that there are some basic things that i, as a responsible bike owner, should be able to do.

so far, i've had no luck - apart from being told that one of the bike shops runs a session where one of their mechanics shows u what they do. but, i want to be able to try some stuff myself - watching is one thing but actually doing it is going to be better for me in the longer run.

i've also heard from others who are interested in finding similar basic courses.

so, if anyone out there either knows of a course in brissie - or lives in/near brissie and would be happy to be added to a list of interested people - PM me....
  13. will this course teach me any of the following?

coolant change

brake pad & fluid

cleaning carbs

chain change sprocket change

ive got the 250rr manual, but its a dodgy copy, the pictures arent clear.
  14. This is all basic stuff, carb clean/rebuilds can be a bit daunting first time but if ur careful they are easy.

I'm not in sydney yet, so I can't really help, but just start a thread, organise a garage at someones house, get a few guys who know a thing or 2 to bring tools, and the rest bring beer and pizza.

make a list and see what everyone needs to learn, then run through it all on a couple of bikes (don't wanna do all bikes cause of the cost of the consumables, but if you want to buy em then go for it)

Apart for the carb clean, the rest should be able to be covered in 1 day, plus other things, adjusting/lubing cables, checking bearings/seals e.t.c.

I would recommend a bit longer for a carb rebuild though, I remember it took me more than a day to do mine the first time, but now I can do em in 3 or 4 hours now.

15. hate to continue my negativity, but a coolant change is not a basic thing. 1 small airlock if you dont bleed it properly can cuase over heating and possible further damage..

brake pad and fluid, yes simple to some but if you balls it up the consequenses could be deadly

i understand how else are you expected to learn, i agree in getting an old dirtbike or a never to go on the road again bike and messing around with that but seriously it scares me to think of 10 hours of training being enough to deem someone competent to work on his/her own bike.
    chain lube, how to check levels( water, oil and brake fluid). and thats it. if all this stuff was so simple and anyone can do it why did i spend 6 months cleaning the workshop and coding radios in new cars when i started my apprenticeship? (cos i was a lil prick probably).

get someone (if you know someone) who knows what theyre doing to do the first few services with you letting you do some of the stuff under theyre supervision.

obviously this is my opinion and i doubt most of you will share it, but this is not directed at unqualified people who know what theyre doing as there are great unqualifed mechanics out there, its direct at someone who is asking how to change a set of s/plugs and brakes in the one post. if you cant nut out a set of plugs then for crying out loud dont touch the only thing that will stop you if your in strife.

the end.
  16. Yeah I understand what ur saying cantride, but Most people probably could nut out the basic stuff, like oil and plug changes, but don't try simply cause they are scared.

It's more about inspiring confidence rather than actually teaching them things. Once they have a go and realise it's not too hard, then chances are they'll be more inclined to try it themselves next time something comes up.

If they get assistance the first time round, then they'll be able to do it from then on.

As for brakes and other major components, yeah a little information can be dangerous, you don't want someone to forger to tighten up a caliper mount or something, but I think most people are intelligent enough to know the risks, and will take the necesary precautions, and the ones that aren't will probably find other ways to risk our lives anyway...

At least this way we know not to stay in front of them, better the devil you know eh? ;)

17. I never knock anybody who wants to learn. As said before..safety and maintenance checks can save a lot of bother later. I'd expect checking, and adjusting the chain tension would be covered..which is something IMHO everybody needs to know.

Everything is easy.....when you know how.
  18. guess we hear each other, i do want people to learn but where do you draw the line. :)
  19. Paying a mechanic to do basic stuffs might seems worthless, but sometimes 'basic' tasks could take years of experience to be performed 'properly'.

This is where you'll want to pay someone to do it simply because you don't have the years of experience, but hey, all great / professional mechanics been through learning curves. No one born to know what a motorbike is (let me know if u do know someone does. :p)

If I'm the experienced and know what could easily go wrong for beginners, I'd simply warn them the health of the bike is on your own hand.

You will have to accept it if you f*&k it up. If it's a spare bike, good for you, as you just learn what to do to f*&k up a bike so that you won't do it again. Otherwise, ask yourself clearly if you can take the risk.