Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike seems 'locked'....wont move and wont let me change gear

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by I Adore Vic, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ....is it trying to tell me something? :)

It's a new bike. Started it up this morning - using choke as it was pretty cold....started fine...got rid of choke...put in first and went for little ride up driveway...braked and bike stopped?

Firstly, why did the bike stop when I braked?

Secondly,

After it stopped I put it in neutral and wheeled backwards (about 10 metres). Started it up again, put it in first and went for another little ride up driveway. Braked and bike stopped again!!???

Tried to put it back in neutral but nothing's happening. Wont change gears. Wont even let me wheel it back.

I'm a bit scared to start it up as I don't know what gear it could be in and not sure what the heck to do as my bike is now sitting stubborn at the end of my driveway!

Any ideas on why this has happened and what I can do?

Thanks

Rosie - I had no intentions of going past the end of my driveway I swear!!!

2. I assume you pulled in the clutch when you stopped, so the bike didn't just stall from too few revs? If so, did you also remember to take the choke off once the bike was warmed up? Leaving it on could also be making the bike stall. (Edit: D'oh, yes you did, I fail Reading Comprehension 101)

Bikes are often not too happy to change gears, at least more than one, without moving, so that probably explains what's going on with the gear changing. Can you start the bike up again (making sure the choke is off), with the clutch pulled in and try to change down to first? You might also want to try practicing putting it into neutral, then back into first.

Let us know how you go with it.

3. I'll try that Bravus. I did pull the clutch in when I braked. This is the right thing to do yes? From what I remember from the course, they said to pull the clutch in when braking...but then my memory not so good these days. :)

4. Oh...and THANKS!! Will let you know in a sec whether it works. :)

5. You'll be able to put it in neutral if you sit on it, pull in the clutch, and roll it forward a bit. Then try.

Likewise, you'll be able to move it back up to the garage by pulling in the clutch.

Next time, maybe try warming the engine up a bit more.

6. I used to have to rock the bike back and forth a bit (with the clutch in) to get the bugger to click back into neutral after a stall.

It wasn't a fan of changing gears when hte engine was off as Bravus mentioned.

7. Yep, sounds like you did everything right, and maybe it was just still a bit chilly.

8. wet cRutch needs some heat to work proper :p it will go in easier that way :LOL:

9. Start the bike with the clutch in and feather the clutch; let it out a bit. i.e. to clutch friction point. Pull the clutch back in drop it into first.

Sounds like the bike is stalling because it is too cold.

10. I think you're all right....wasn't warmed up enough.

I just did what Bravus said - started it with the clutch in...and had a 'fiddle' with the gears...changing from first to neutral. The gears are quite finicky and are going to take some practice to get used to.

But I got it into neutral and put it into first and then went for a ride up driveway and braked and the bike didn't stall....:) Put it back in neutral and did it all again only this time I went a little further - turned left and did a rather wobbly ride up to the end of our bumpy dirt road (I blame the bumps for the wobbles ;) ) Braked at the end and no problems.

Is it okay to do this with the bike for short periods of time (20mins?) :

Ride a little way -brake - change back to neutral...wheel back into drive...put into first - ride a little way - brake - then back to neutral etc etc while the engine's running?

Just to get used to braking.

Thanks for the help everyone.

11. Just remember, using the choke isn't just to get the bike started. Once the bike is started with full choke, gradually back the choke off a bit at a time until the RPM stabilises.

Ideally you want to warm the bike up for a good 5 minutes (depending on ambient temperature of course) before you take off.

12. Thanks Haggismaen...5 mins.... lol...wont tell you how long I warmed it up for this morning then.

13. Fuel doesn't vaporise well at lower temperatures, thus the choke increases the amount of fuel present in the mixture to overcome this. Getting the bike started doesn't bring the bike up to the desired temperature straight away.

This is why you gradually reduce the choke since as the bike warms up, it varporises more easily until it has reached the correct temperature at which the standard fuel-air mixture will burn properly.

It's not necessary to understand it, but it helps :p.

Oh and if you stop the bike and leave it for a short while (doing some shopping, going for a coffee etc) you generally don't need to go through the whole first start procedure again (though it is nice to let it idle without choke for a minute or so to raise the temperature to the desirable levle again), it all depends on how long you stopped it for and how cold it is outside.

14. I understand it. Didn't before. :)

So how long should you leave the choke on for? The guy who sold me the bike said about 10 seconds was fine. So I did that this morning....but I didn't let it idle for those 5 mins afterwards..more like 1 minute....hence the above problem/lesson. :)

15. How long is a piece of string? :p

It depends on the temperature outside and the bike itself. The best way is to start the bike with full choke. Reduce the choke off a bit until you hear the RPM stabilise, then a little bit more until it stabilises etc etc until the choke is fully off.

Then you can let it idle with no choke while you put on your helmet, gloves and double check everything. Personally I warm the bike up while I put my jacket on, lock the house, open the gate and so on.

16. It's not actualy bad for the bike just doing the small rides for now while you get the feel of it. Though it would not be good for the bike to be ridden like that for ever.

Engines do not like being started, nor do they like next to zero revs, as long as your short rides are not running into over-heating probs then just get used to the bike at your own pace and it will be fine. (oil pressure may run slighly low but your not pressureing ther bike)

Worst case scenario for slow rideing is carbon build-up, a good fang will clean it out reasonably and maybe a few K's reduced from your over-all engine life.

Just keep doing what your doing till you get the hang of it.

17. well i start my bike, with the choke... get it idleing.. then go an put my gear on..

so about 5-7 minutes

you'll get used to it... so when you booking on for the L's??

18. I was also having HEEEEAPS of trouble with the gear change thing. Sometimes I could rock the bike forward to go neutral other times it just got stuck... I assumed i bent it when I transported it, (after i stacked i had to put it into the luggage bin of a bus to get it home :grin: ((long story))... but all that had happened was my clutch wasn't adjusted properly. So if you still have gear change issues check that out too..

19. About whether you need to pull the clutch every time you brake, that's not *necessarily* the case - often you do, and at a certain point of decelleration you certainly do (as obviously you need to change down gears, and then you need to avoid stalling), but you can rely on the engine to help you brake, to slow you down, as you will notice happens when you roll off the throttle without braking. It is good to be able to combine engine braking with the application of actual brakes (or alone) - it's a smoother and more powerful way of braking.

About pulling the choke out, it depends on the bike. I pull mine out on my rather older ('83) bike, which is quite prone to stalling, and after 10 seconds it's on its way back in, and certainly all the way in by 30 seconds from the initial pulling. NB that if you leave it for a long time (say 10 minutes), not only might the bike stall, it could foul the plugs (at least that's my friend's experience).

About the five minutes warming up, I'd disagree, and it's a matter of debate even among guys who work with engines and so can judge the effects by investigating them. I'd say a minute or two is fine, and that's all I've ever done. As I say, there are endless debates around this. We're referring to the first start for the day - you need give the engine less time if you're on and off it such that its warm.

20. [repeat deleted -Matt]