Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Security

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Joleda, Nov 13, 2013.

1. A couple of things have got me thinking (which is all there is to do on night shifts o_O) about the new bike and its security. Firstly I know that Dima had his bike stolen which is awful, secondly I have a brand new bike that is worth more than the ninja, and thirdly - some of you know I got quoted pretty high for insurance, so extra security may well lower the premium.

I looked up my bike and it appears to have a factory immobiliser thingy... stuffs me if I know how it works or what it does...
    What other security options can I add that won't cost my first born child. I also rent, so I cant bolt things to walls/ground.

For extra info - the Bikes are stored in the garage with the cars overnight, and when I am at work its stored in secure parking also, and I always use the wheel lock function too. :smug:
  2. I'm not sure where it is on your new bike but you could disconnect the ignition harness, and I try and always (used to) park near other bikes because as a few other NR have discovered secure parking is not always so.
  3. Have a look at the Scorpio i900. It has a proximity sensor module that will start chirping when someone gets near the bike. It also has a receiver fob that you carry with you that will alert you when someone sets off the alarm, and you can be 1/2 mile away. The cost is about $460 for that combo. $399 without the proximity sensor.

The great thing about this alarm is you can also get a factory harness for your bike, which means you don't have to cut into your loom, and installation is VERY simple.

One thing though... do NOT be tempted to get the SR-i1100. It's no longer in production.

Let me know if you need to know more. I have this alarm. It's great. Probably the best $460 I've spent on my bike.
  4. Yikes! That is a bit out of my price range at the minute! Looks awesome though, definitely something to consider.
  5. Immobiliser doo-hickies disable the ignition/starter unless you use the key & often the key has an electronic id programmed into the immobiliser too, so it's a unique key.

Renting? Have a word to the agent/landlord/body corporate, they may not be too stressed about a couple of holes drilled in the concrete floor to bolt one of those anchors to.

There are at least 30 bikes parked outside my office & I reckon I'm only 1 of 2 that use a disk lock (on my uber-desirable 150cc) - says something about the general opinion of their worth...
  6. Consider it an investment. If you ever get another bike, use it on the new bike. Certainly gives you some peace of mind, especially since the remote fob is with you and alerts you if something happens.
  7. Christmas is just around the corner @Joleda , get your extended family to pool their $$ together instead of buying meaningless junk . . . . ;)
  8. I wish I could!, I only get presents from my OH. pooooor meeee :notworthy:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Something to consider is that if you do get an alarm system you might, depending on the insurer, get a discount on the insurance. It might not be much but is something.
    I'd possibly go with an anchor. I'd also think of a disc lock or maybe a zone alarm in the garage. Something like one of these (as well as maybe a disc lock) - http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/pir/main/showall/
    A garage can seem secure for sure but once someone gets in they are out of sight and can basically do what they want.
    At work can be another story. Do they have security cameras and do you park near them? Do you have a dedicated parking spot or somewhere you can latch a big chain over the bike and chain it to something?
    I used to carry a big chain i used for a tractor PTO to football games, ride though the parking mess and chain the Bike up to a No Standing sign on the grass. I don't do it now.
  10. Liking the disc lock idea alot! I will definitely order one with an alarm built in, you can hear everything in our street so it will wake up the neighbours and all the dogs.

I like those zone alarms too, will look into those for the garage, although we are in and out so often we would be the ones setting them off!

Work is alright, During the day I can see on the security camera, its right near the entrance where there are people there all day, and there is also a guard on at the carpark entrance that would hopefully notice my bike exiting on the back of a ute or something. When I am on at night time I secure the whole building including the carpark and the only people that can enter the carpark have to show the camera their ticket to get in, otherwise they are locked out. (That is controlled by secure parking) If it is a weekend shift and no major deliveries are happening I can keep it in the loading area which is secured and is right next to my office.:cat:
  11. I had a disc lock alarm a few years ago, I can't remember what brand, it would go off for no reason all the time, its probably still going off in some landfill somewhere right now. I hope you have better luck.
    Personally I like the big fat chain idea, chain it to a post.
  12. I have a disk lock with alarm, which has yet to go off without provocation, and a cable and adaptor so I can chain the bike to a post etc and have the alarm trigger if the cable is interfered with. I like Xena stuff in particular. The new locks look better than mine which is a few years old now.
  13. I haven't used my alarmed disc lock for years for the same reason. Once the battery gets close to flat, the alarm gets all tetchy. The trouble is that the expensive special battery only lasted about a month, so I decided to take my chances with theives instead.
  14. I used this:
    Small enough to put in the tail compartment on the CBR600RR. Been using it daily for 6 months and still on the original battery.
    If it start going off randomly then either the battery need to be changed or you need to clean the little mirror in the disc lock.
    You can also put it on different spot on the disc to change the sensitivity. I think it's more sensitive up top.
  15. Triumph sell an alarm which integrates perfectly into the bikes electronics.

But - and this is the clincher - is spending the money worthwhile if it's not going to make a decent reduction to your premiums.

My question would be this - what are you trying to achieve? Make the bike harder to steal, or reduce the premium? I ask this, because as silly as it sounds, making it harder to steal isn't necessaily going to reduce your premiums.
  16. From personal experience, having your bike stolen can make a difference to your premiums! :(
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Might have been an Oxford Screamer, mine was OK at first then started acting a bit silly. I suspect it was the batteries going flat.
  18. +1 for unlikely reduce your premium as usualy based on location and overnight parking location, but if you after super paranoid securty then look at:
    - Roadlok disc lock so only have to carry the key
    - Floor Anchor with chain (Almax) as short as possible.
    - Motion Alarm (Ignitor) to go off if someone stands it up.
    - Plain motorcycle cover so thieves cant tell the make of bike.
    I tend to rely on full insurance & steering lock unless traveling for work and then it gets covered and chained.
  19. There's been some good suggestions here.

If your bike is stolen "to order", then nothing much is going to stop them. They are shopping for X model bike for a parts supply order. They'll do what they need to do.

But you CAN stop the "honest thief". Sounds like a silly saying, but it's true. You want to make it difficult enough to steal, that a potential thief will move along to the next one. Subtelty has no place here. Make it OBVIOUSLY secure, and 99% of your problems will go away.

Something else to consider - do some research on stats. Find out how many bikes are actually stolen in your area each year. You might be surprised with how low the numbers are. That might save you some worry.

Lastly - insurance companies are not charities - they are in the game to make a buck. So even if you are in quite a low theft risk category, there are other factors with your circumstances which may increase your risk rating to them. The thing is, a lot of thefts don't actually happen at home - that is where bikes are most likely to be visible and monitored by the owner or residents of the property.
  20. Some great ideas!:D

sounds good, that battery only costs around $6 too :)

Its not really to reduce my premium, more of an extra deterrent. Plus If the alarm went off in my garage I would hear it easily, same as if I was in the office at work, bike is only 1 level below me, then I could go break some face :ROFLMAO: or lock down the building until the police who are 3 buildings down got there :X3:

I looked it up quickly, and the only motorcycle thefts in my area that have come up the past year have all been at the local yamaha, poor guys have had like 9 bikes taken over a few months. My area has a pretty bad reputation, the locals probably wouldn't chance stealing from someone that could be scarier than them and non-locals would have to be desperate to come out here. The police are always at the house across the road from me, so anyone scoping out the place would probably think twice. :sneaky: