Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike seat

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by waynemac, Aug 11, 2012.

1. I am thinking upgrading the seat on my BMW R1200RT for more comfort. I have a sheepskin on it but reckon it can be better for longer rides which I regularly do. I am wondering if anyone has done this and where you had it done and did it make a substantial difference. I am in SA but can't find anybody here.

2. I just saw this video. Is this what you're looking for?

jd beat me to it.
  3. Thanks for the airhawk info - I have thought about that but wondered if by the time I get the top model it's about half the cost (I think) of getting the whole seat reupholstered so wondered which is the best way to go
  4. Ive got a corbin, well worth the money. Order well in advance and be super patient though - took 3 months for mine to be delivered.
    Still considering an airhawk or sheepskin though - corbin is a much better shape and supporting but could do with a tiny bit more comfort.

www.andystrapz.com.au does airhawk, compare prices around :).
  5. Try Reliable Retrim in Melbourne, he does a lot of BMW seats and just did the one on my KLR for $300, he will customise it for your needs. Difference is night and day, with the new job I could ride the bike all day without a sore butt. Speak to John, he knows his stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Air hawk sounds brilliant, but if you're already on your toes, it just exacerbates the problem.

Thanks for the reliable retrim tip RN.
  7. I have heard of reliable trim so thanks for the recommendation and I'll give them a call
  8. No worries guys, John's really good, he services all of Oz and I am very happy with my redone seat. The stock KLR seat was awful, now it's just great, was worth the money IMO.
  9. #11 smileedude, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    The seat on my er6 was worn down so much the plastic frame of the seat was coming through. An $8 piece of foam, a bread knife to shape it and a staplegun was all i needed to fix it.

10. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I have "accidentally" found an experienced bike seat repair place just 20 minutes from my home in the Adelaide Hills so I have booked my seat in there to get extra padding and more comfort. He's doing it tomorrow and this weekend I am on the Black Dog Ride so will do about 800 klms with new levels of comfort (I hope!). I will report on it next week in case anyone is interested in getting their seat remodeeled - the work I saw that he's done certainly gave me confidence.