Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike seat - material and colour choice?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by CrazyCam, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Hi folks.

Wonder if any of you can help me out please.

I want to get the rear seat of my R850R BMW recovered in a matching colour to the bike, Mystic Red, I think it is.

Now, in the past, I've had seats recovered and found that auto upholsterers could do a fine job, but often didn't have much in the way of suitable materiel in the colour I wanted.

Back in the mists of antiquity, I had found a place that sold just the materiel, it was down in towards Liverpool, I think, but can't remember the sordid details, so, anyone know of such a place, or, alternatively, anyone know of an auto upholsterer who stocks lots of colours?

I'm in Beecroft, and have had a seat recovered successfully in Hornsby, but I had to supply the bright yellow materiel.

2. Bummer....

Yesterday, I went looking for the bloke in Hornsby that did the seat cover for my Triumph, but he seems to have disappeared.

Anyone got a recommended auto trimmer in the Hornsby area?
  3. The Chairman Upholstery Sydney .....Leon Berg. Unit 4, 17 DicksonAve, Artarmon 1800424247
    Sydney Motor trimmers 8E Hiles Ave , Alexandria
  4. Cheers and thanks for that Rennsport.

I'll give the Artarmon bloke a go, 'cos I'm not sure if my passport is valid to get to Alexandria any more.
  5. An update to this business....

Talking to a couple of mates who actually know about paints, they told me that there was such a thing as Vinyl paint, and, since the seat cover was in good nick, I thought I'd give that a try.

Thanks to one of those mates, they wiped down the seat cover with thinners, then sprayed the seat with a can of vinyl paint.

Several coats later, all up perhaps 45 minutes, and I had a red rear seat for my BMW.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice seat : nice bike!
  7. If prepped right those paints can be quite impressive. Looks like it covered the black well. Will be keen to hear how it wears - whether any transfers onto clothing through heat/moisture.