Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike sale inspection

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by 87GPX250R, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Hi guys, looked at buying my first bike today, on a tight budget I found a 1987 Kawasaki GPX250 with good rego and good appearance but the bikes wheels are still to rotate.
    The bike has been sitting for around six months so I am wondering if this could be a major problem, the bike is even hard to roll on neutral, like so hard that you can not walk the bike unassisted (whilst sitting on it).
    I test rode it and everything seems to function correctly altho it does idle up some, the brakes seem to work fine and the bike is not struggling under power and seems to roll to a stop ok.
    The side walls on the tryes have cracking so I have factored new tyres and a carby clean out into the equation along with a full fluid change (which I should be able to do myself). Most of which I have factored into the price.
    Also the front brake switch is inoperative.
    My main concern is how hard the bike is to roll.
    Any input would be much appreciated.

2. Brakes are binding, perhaps. Get someone to sit on the rear of the seat to get the front wheel off the ground and see how readily the front wheel spins. Put the bike on the centre-stand if it has one and see how easily the rear wheel spins.
    It could be collapsed wheel bearings, too......
    Either way, maybe look for another bike, this one could be a money-pit..
  3. Both the front and rear wheels are hard to rotate.
    there is no noise or grumble or grinding.
    If it is not brake drag would wheel bearings be an expensive item?
  4. Anything can be expensive, depending on parts or labour, but my point is that if the brakes or the bearings or a combination of both are that neglected, what might the rest of the bike be like? If it was me I'd walk away.....
  5. I guess it depends on what a tight budget actually relates to in terms of $. Had a quick look at Bikesales and there are 1998 GPX 250's for less that the only 1987 one listed there. Frankly I'd want as later model as possible, as hornet said this one may be a money pit. IMO its better to spend an extra say $500 on something more recent and in better nick that will cause less grief and will need less $ in terms of repair and fixes to get RWC. There's a Honda CB250 for $1300 there as well.

Good luck either way!
  6. Cheers guys, I rolled the dice on this one so it looks like I will have to scratch up on my bike mechanics.
    First thing to come off will be the rear wheel.
    Any pointers?
  7. Get a service manual for it, if you intend to work on it a manual will pay for itself in the end.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. You mentioned it's sat around for 6 months.
    Is the bike registered? or has it been unregistered for more than 3 months?
  9. Bike has 6 months rego left, previous owner 15yrs+ (72yrs old) I don't think the bike has seen alot of use last few years.
    Ordered a manual for it tonight.
    Watched utube video and rear wheel looks easy peasy to remove.
    After fixing the rear valve and cleaning the chain a full fluid change is in order.
    Maybe another week till it hits the road again but cant wait, it feels like there is ALOT of life left in her yet.

Thank you for all the replies and keep the comments coming.
  10. As was said your brake calipers are probably seized from lack of use. If they are you'll need to take the calipers off and give them a clean. If they're really bad you might have to take the pistons out and replace the dust and fluid seals. What happens is corrosion gets into the groove behind where the seal seats and pushes the seal out against the piston and the pistons start sticking on. It's a fairly common thing to happen to a bike that has been sitting up for a while. It's not too hard a job and not very expensive. If you have to do it I recommend using genuine seals as the after market seals don't always fit 100%. One other thing to check would be if the pads have been replaced recently and the person just pushed the pistons back in and didn't drain the brake fluid so there could be excess brake fluid in the system causing the pads to stick on.

With the calipers off the wheels should spin freely, if they don't then take the wheel off and put your finger on the bearing and spin the wheel is should feel smooth with no notchieness or sudden stops. If there is notchieness then replace the bearings.
  11. At the risk of stating the obvious, how are the tyre pressures? That can have a bearing on rolling resistance.

12. Old bikes require lots of work, plenty of shit breaks, gets old, or just wears out. Find a newer bike. The GPX250/EX250 Ninja was made all the way up to 2007, find a newer model, they are all the same, just get a newer one if you are set on this bike.