Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Safety

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by rbarge, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Hello All,

Quick question, I read the statistic that bikers are 30 times more likely to die on the road then car users.

Is this a realistic statistic, or is it off becuase there are more young bikers on the road?

2. Maybe :-s . Pity it has to be the crashes that are fatal, rather than the stupidity that caused them. 8)
  3. Yeah Vicroads claims that, based on stats, riders are 30 times more likely to be in a serious crash than drivers on Melbourne's arterial roads. All this means is that if a car and bike collide at 100kph the rider is far more likely to be needing a trip to hospital - even if the car driver is at fault.
  4. yeah I have to say (touch wood) that with my little experience on the road it doesn't seem as dangerous out there as I imagined BEFORE I started riding....I've waited 18 years to get on a bike because I have always had that impression.

Waiting this long has certain advantages, but I personally think there is a bit of a misconception out there....if your smart about it and ride 'defensively' I think riding can be quite safe
  5. Or was it 30 times more likely to be seriously injured in an accident with a car? Seriously, I've heard the Vic TAC quoting a figure like this before. That being the case you could also say walking is EXTREMELY dangerous because in 99% of collisions beween cars and pedestrians, the walker gets clobbered.
    But either way, the facts are that, of course, it's much more dangerous to be on a bike than in a car. You are exposed to danger. You do need to deal with this truth before you take to the roads on two wheels. How you deal with it is up to you. You can minimise the risks by learning to avoid hazardous situations, or you can can just accept the risk and live with putting yourself on the line (not my choice).
    I don't think you should allow yourself to be lulled into a false sense of security because it doesn't SEEM to be as bad as you thought it might be. It's always the one you don't see that gets you. The secret, IMHO of long term survival on a motorcycle is constantly practising strategies for getting yourself out of trouble. When you're out in traffic, try thinking to yourself, "OK, what will I do if THAT car pulls out?" and then mentally practising the response. The hope is that one day when it really DOES happen, you'll just automatically react correctly without having to think about it :)