Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike recommendations

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Jayden, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Hello :)

I'm currently on the market for a dual purpose bike - basically, something that I can ride around town as well as a bike that I can have fun with on the weekends. But I don't know where to start looking, so I was wondering whether Netrider's could help recommend me a motorbike :p

This is what I've come up so far;

-250 millilitre capacity
    -Roughly $5000 budget
    -Dirt/trail bike
    -Can be legally ridden by somebody on their L's

I know I'm asking a lot, but I'd really love some help :)

Regards,
    Jayden

2. Do you want it electric start or is kick-start ok?

... coz kick-start is gay, but it'll save you a bit of $$$ on the bike.

Also, if you're riding it on the road - you may like to invest in some road tyres on rims for it, then switch back to the knobbies for fun on the weekend.

I assume you want 4-stroke.

After a quick look
    Yamaha TTR230

Ooooh tempting Yammie WR426F... Dunno how legal it is for a learner though :grin:

3. Honda XR250
    Kawasaki KLX250
    Yamaha TTR250
    Suzuki DRZ250

4. Hey Jayden, the problem I've been told with these dual purpose bikes (if you do want to use them for the two purposes) is that you can either have tyres that are good on the road but not so good on the dirt, or tyres that are good on the dirt but not so good on the road, OR tyres that are mediocre for both road and dirt. So if you mostly ride on the road and then maybe one weekend a month you decide to hit the trails, I guess you could live with changing the tyres over, or even having a set of wheels with tyres in the garage just for such an occasion, but it all depends on if you want or even have the money to spend on such a set up. But on the plus side, the dual purpose bikes are pretty easy to ride and you'll definately have fun!
    Some dual purpose 250 bikes that i know of are:
    - Yamaha XT 250
    - Honda XR 250
    - Suzuki DRZ 250
    - Kawasaki KLX 250

Hope that kinda helped you out!

NOTE: Oh another thing I left out is the gear!!! I'm not quite sure about the specifics of this but the dirt and road gear will be different and you will have to take that into account, you might need to have two different types of gear, maybe somebody can clarify this?

5. Cheers for the help, a few people have recommended both the Honda XR 250 and the Kawasaki KLX 250. So I might look into those :)

6. Where are you located Jayden. If you are in one of the LAMS states you don´t have to limit yourself to a 250.

Will

7. I'm in SA - but I'm not comfortable with anything over 250

8. Don't discount the DR-Z250 either, a capable bike with good manners.

DR-Z or XR for the win...

9. Are these the only 250 dirt bikes that can be road ridden?

10. KLR 250, though it's more road oriented than the KLX.