Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike prices vs. actual values?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Grumply, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I've been browsing bikesales.com.au and the other classified in search of a first bike, but when I've checked the prices 99% of people are asking and compared them to the value-range that Redbook puts them in - they're all massively overpriced.

Is this just the norm? I don't want to get hammered on the resale of the bike in a year and a half when I upgrade because I was overpaying considerably in the first place.
  2. Redbook prices are only used by dealers to f*&k you on trade-ins.
  3. Redbook prices are usually for dealer trade-ins. And many of the prices, especially when you get older than 3-4 years are completely off the mark.

However a lot of people ask near hilarious prices for motorbikes. Just don't call, I guess. Ebay can also be handy at getting a bike for a reasonable price.
  4. Anything is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If you see something you want - make what you believe is a fair offer. All that can happen is that they say no.
  5. Most people will post a higher price then what they actaully want.
    Simply so the buyer thinks they are getting a good deal with you are willing to take $500 off. But you still get what you want to sell it for or more.
  6. Bikesales prices are high. I'm not sure why, but I think its because all the good bikes get sold quick, which leaves all the expensive shit ones. Similar story with carsales.com.au imo.

Either make an offer substantially less than they are asking, or look elsewhere. ebay is a good place to start. trading post.
  7. You're looking at CBR250RRRRRRRs? ZX2Rs? RFV400s?
    (I think you might be)

All the learner bikes that have boy-racer-esq following will be ridiculously overpriced.

Try widening your search to less popular models if you want something thats good value.
  8. Get it checked by an independent mechanic and with each fault found knock a couple of bucks off your offer. Or learn how to look for the crap yourself :grin:
  9. No, I'm looking at naked and cruiser bikes (VTRs, Spadas, Eliminators, Intruders, Zeals, Bandits etc)

And thanks for the tips guys, I guess I'll just have to keep on hunting.
  10. keep your eyes open.
    i keep an eye on VTR prices every now and again.
    VTRs hold their value really well, hence the price.
    you can still find a relative bargain though, just wait and one will pop up.
    alot of the prices listed are Dealer prices too, theyre often 1.5k or so above what i would pay for the bike.

just have patience, and you will find a bike for the price you want eventually.
  11. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-VTR250-VTR-250-12-months-rego-fully-serviced_W0QQitemZ170300085706QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycles?hash=item170300085706&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

jump on board mate. put in what you think is fair and see what happens. who knows, you might end up with a bargain!
  12. Doesnt matter what you buy, theres ALWAYS wiggle room in prices, just dont let dealers stick it in and snap if off.
  13. Yeah, I've never really given buying from a dealer much serious thought (as far as second-hand bikes are concerned at least).

So my hunt continues.
  14. The internet sales sites are handy as it's pretty easy to sort out the best value bikes of a particular type.

just do a search by type then sort by price and look at the one with the max ks (or less) that you are willing to accept.

After this you can do a search in a similar price range so see if you've overlooked a type of bike, you'd discounted.

Then go and look at these ones and round down the price by at least a few hundred.

Remember only a few bikes sell every weekend in any area. So you have more power than you think.
  15. Private sale redbook prices will always be low as they are based on prices people list in their rego transfer forms. I don't think for any car or bike that I have bought or sold i have had the correct price listed, its usually substantially lower so I dont have to pay as much duty.

This fact alone will lead the redbook averages being lower than actual prices paid.

But yeah, there are a lot of overpriced stuff on bikesales etc.
  16. wait wait wait wait "BUY"

grumply... just take your time mate... when you least expect it... the next time you think about it you'll be riding down the road :wink:
  17. I know, I know! :( It's just that I put off getting my licence for so long (flaky mates saying they'd do it with me), now that I have it I just want to get riding! :grin:

Anyone know much about the later model (2002) Suzuki 250 Bandits? I've seen a couple that seem to be in my price range.
  18. grumply... mate not intruding, but whats your budget. one of the lads may see something that you like :wink:
  19. I've got up to $4,000 to spend on the bike, though preferably I'd rather spend closer to $3,000 and leave a little extra for some decent-quality riding gear. And I'm looking at naked bikes and cruisers (not so keen on the faired look personally).