Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

bike parking in Canberra

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by sc00b, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Will the sensor thing at car parks recognise me and give me a ticket? Or like some traffic lights near my house will it ignore me all together?

Are there other ways/places to park around the major shopping centres in the ACT that I don't know about?

I found the parking at the new part of Canberra Centre in Civic, I've parked up on the path opposite babar's in Woden (are we actually allowed to do that? It was the only place I saw other bikes parked)

I had the interesting experience of parking at the Lakeside carpark at Belconnen - where the motorbike parking is before the boom gate but then you exit behind the boom gate - with no ticket to get out, I ended up just riding over the footpath to get out, is that what we're supposed to do? It doesn't seem well designed unless I missed another way to get out.

And I have yet to try to park at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome. Any tips/hints/suggestions from other Canberran riders would be much appreciated!

cheers, mercy.

2. Hmmm... at Belconnen Mall I park out the front, near Coles, there's quite a large bike parking area there.... otherwise I just ride around the boomgates...

3. the parking in belco that you are talking about you ride out the way you come in, so out the entry and then into the left lane

othr places i think you ride around the boom gate, only places i have parked the bike are belco and civc

the parking outside of the cinema at woden, as far as i know none has been booked, even though its not a designated parking area

4. There's heaps of parking in Civic, get onto the ACT Government website.

In Tuggeranong there's bike parking on the bottom level of the multistory park near Arnold's Ribs & Pizza (it's sort of under the escalator). There's also parking near the daycare centre in the underground part of the multistory - if you don't know where the daycare centre is it's near the entrance to Myers.

5. Thanks for all the advice guys.

I did look at the ACT gov maps but a) I'm not that good with maps and the dots were kind of obscure and b) they didn't seem to be near anywhere I wanted to go.

I've only been riding a few weeks so I was a little wary of riding around the boom gates - given the potential for hitting it and looking completely ridiculous - but I think I'll give it a go tomorrow.

So yeah, thanks :grin: And if you come to a consensus on the coffee thing I'll be sure to rock up sometime.

Mercy.

6. Don't park in Green Square, Kingston no matter how many other bikes you see doing it :evil: :evil:.

7. Thanks for the tip, I haven't had occasion to ride to kingston yet - if I do, where IS a good place to park?

Manuka too for that matter, last time I just ended up nabbing a car space because I couldn't find any obvious bike parking :?

8. I generally slip the bike into a space between cars in the side streets where it's timed, but not pay, parking.

9. Great post, was wondering the exact same thing. So Green Square is a serious no-no huh? Thanks for the heads up :)

10. They love booking bikes at green square and there isn't any bike parking in Kingston :mad: . Mind you Ive always parked there when I'm only going to be a few minutes without any issue (probably more to do with luck then anything else).

In Manuka the bike parking is at the top/back of the shops up and across the road from the commonwealth bank.

11. Yeah be careful where you park in Manuka, nearly got booked the other day (apparently he didn't book me because "it was Father's Day" - pffft, why's he working if that's his excuse? I think I was too far away from him. :] ). It's pretty irritating that the bike park is so far away there, but whatcha gonna do.

In Woden, if you're shopping, you can park in the lot underneath the supermarkets, there's a little area near the boomgates that's clearly for bikes. It's a bit fiddly to manoeuveur in there but not too bad.

Actually that Kingston thing is interesting. Are we supposed to use a whole car space?

12. I would.

13. So, when you do take a car space do you park more towards the back so that you're more easily seen or kinda in the centre?

I'm a little paranoid, my brother has had two of his bikes knocked over by cars - once whilst parked between cars like Haggismaen described - and since the bike I'm riding at the moment isn't mine anything I can do to keep her safe would be good...even though she is only a gpx

14. I park about in the middle, with the bike diagonally across the park so people aren't tempted to squeeze in next to it.