Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike over twice in 30 seconds

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by jack_1313, Aug 2, 2010.

1. After last week’s minor stack I decided it was time to up the antics a little bit and have a full-on slide in the middle of traffic in a large busy round-about. For those of you from the northern suburbs, I’m talking about the round about the round-about where Greensborough Highway, Diamond Creek Road and Civic Drive meet, right near the Greensborough Sports Centre and Diamond Valley Library.

[​IMG]

Yesterday it rained heavily for a short period of time around 1:00 pm, after having not rained for a few days. So when I set out (the rain had stopped) I knew the roads would be slippery. Unfortunately, knowing that and careful riding didn’t help much. As I was passing through the round-about at a regular speed, executing a regular lean, the tires simply lost traction and the bike slid right over. The picture shows the path I took (red) and the crash, and the path I intended to take (green). I slid a short distance on my jeans and escaped with no injury. Thank God there was no car close behind or immediately left of me - otherwise it might have been messy.

I lifted the bike up straight away and unfortunately, in my adrenaline-fueled panic to get it off the road before a car took me or it out, I went to push it without holding the clutch in, and guess what? Yep, it went straight down on the other side.

At that point I was quickly surrounded by a bunch of friendly car drivers who wheeled the bike off the road while I took a moment to calm down.
    The damage to the bike was mainly cosmetic. Bent indicators and mirrors were easily bent back. The end ball-point of my front brake lever is now only half a ball, so it must have taken the main force of the scrape. The big parts don’t appear bent or out of alignment. Amazingly, the second drop doesn’t appear to have caused any damage whatsoever. My brake pedal now looks more like an old piece of scrap metal, which is the biggest problem (my foot may slide off it’s now convex-surface). Some scratches.

The scariest part about this accident is that, to the best of my knowledge, I hadn’t done anything wrong. I was riding safely, and was in the right wheel track where oil is presumably minimal. It wasn’t even an aggressive lean. As the picture shows, it’s a gentle curve. There was no use of brakes. The bike just went from a regular lean to horizontal with no warning or chance for correction. So lessons learned? Apart from make sure I hold the clutch in next time I have to get the bike off the road, I’m not sure. If it’s going to be slippery keep the bike mostly upright? That won’t work if I want to make turns faster than 15 kph.

I ride a Honda CB250RS 1982, which is a model with very narrow tires compared to most other bikes. I’ve been riding daily for some time over one month.

Well, that’s the latest crash report.

2. bugger about the off, what tyres & pressures are you running? If they are old tyres get rid of them and get the best tyre you can afford, as you have found out it's the only thing keeping you and the ground apart (y)

3. Sorry to hear it mate!!

Is this where it happened: http://tinyurl.com/23p897k ?

I see something on the road there, it looks like a gouge rather than a tar snake.
    If you hit that on thin tyres though, there's every possibility that the tyre would find the groove, slip ever so slightly out of line then continue to slip, causing your eventual slide if you were unable to control it.

If it is a road defect, I'd reccommend reporting it to vicroads or the council.

Hope you're not too bruised up (physically or the ego :D)! Take care.

4. Skinny tyres are no problem..unless they are crappy to start with. You might have hit a patch of diesel.
    Glad that you are ok..bikes are repairable with a visit to the wrecker or some aftermarket spares.

5. +1 to Stewy on tyres and pressures. That roundabout does get a lot of diesel spill because the lights tend to bring trucks to a stop and then as they accelerate and slosh fuel out. The way you are coming was downhill so you may have touched the brakes on a diesel patch. Also they are doing road works there at the moment so lots of earth moving machinery etc.

Glad you are OK.

6. :( sorry to hear about the off.

i'm thinking diesel spill or the tar snakes like mentioned above!

7. Definitely check your tyres, but also re-read what you wrote above.

In my book, regular speed and regular lean don't constitute 'careful riding'. Or, at least, not more careful than regular riding. What I mean is, if you know the road is likely to be a bit more slippery than usual, ride a little more slowly than usual and try not to lean the bike as much as usual.'

Sorry to hear about your off mate. I know that roundabout, and the camber wouldn't have helped your situation any. Definitely one to put in the knowledge bank for next time.

8. Skinny tyres won't automatically dump you. Realistically, nor will crappy ones. Not generally without warning anyway. Diesel spill sounds likely. Don't take that as a justification for not changing tyres that are past their use-by date though :D.

One of the nice things about older bikes is that they generally have less on them to break, and when you do, will accept cheapo "universal" replacements for stuff like lights and mirrors. As I don't know what your bike is like, I'll refrain from suggesting that a few more scrapes won't show on the average old hack.

9. My money's on tyres as the problem. Have a good close look at them in the sunlight and if you see any cracking inside the treads burn* them.

*throttles are good for this.

10. Mate, could have been any factors as stated... but the worst could have also been your mind set about going through the roundabout!
    Dont blame you, but your un aware technique could have already had you off before your tyres did!

11. Funnily enough, the 18 month old tyre on the front of the DR had these cracks before I wore it out. The 10 year old (according to the date code) one with which I replaced it does not.

I've ridden on some truly terrible tyres over the years and still maintain that, under normal road conditions, even the oldest, crappiest boot is unlikely to dump you without warning unless there is a secondary factor like diesel or a manhole cover involved.

12. I know that round-a-bout well, was living in Eltham and went around there every day to work... The problem, besides a slippery road is that the camber is all wrong there, it slopes down to the outside which is extremely dangerous, have always been careful there. Lucky for you that was a whole lotta experience that only cost a bit of pride....

You never know though, there coulda been oil on the road under the wet which you didn't see....

Years ago I dropped a Kwaka VN1500 on a simple bend in the dry, looked like some white stuff on the road, never found out what it was.... I was on the spanners for a well known Kawasaki dealership at the time and it was a customers bike...:( had to throw a new set of pipes on...$$$, fortunately had a spare set on the cupboard....

13. Yeah you're right, the cracking is not always the best indicator. Some tyres go rock hard without visible signs. But I'm having a stab at it that the OP's tyres should show signs if they've gone off.

Jeez mate I dunno, I've ridden on plenty of shitful tyres as well, and what it's taught me is to listen carefully to the feedback the tyres are giving me, and then adjust my riding accordingly.

The reason I'm going with tyres in the OP's case is because he was only just starting out on his journey. The tyres would be cold and giving little feedback, if they've hardened off they would be giving none whatsoever.

Under those conditions even a gentle lean on an off camber roundabout can be enough to have a slip. An experienced rider may pick it back up in time, but you have to have the experience first.

I know i could be wrong with the OP, but the way it reads to me is it sounds like that's what happened. Tyres are where I'd start, if they're ok then no mark play on. :)

14. Hmmm,
    You knew the roads would be slippery but you also state regular ride, regular lean. Even state it wasn't an aggressive lean... like WTF does that mean in wet slippery conditions.

Sorry but I'm with zenali on this one..
    Careful riding in known slippery roads means way slower/lower than regular ride and lean.

Roundabouts are always slippery in wet due to tyre wear as cars are always leaning thus there'd be more rubber worn in them than on straight stretches of roads. Same thing happens at lights in intersection and why most rear enders happen at traffic lights in the wet.
    Throw in rain and there's trouble waiting to happen for those who think riding at the speed limit or just under in the wet is careful riding.

15. You know he may mean regular riding in the wet as opposed to regular riding in the dry.

16. True, so an indication of speed entering and some idea as to what speed through the roundabout would be helpful in giving the correct advise..

Statements like "I was going slower than I normally do" can be quite misleading if you're a regular riding to your (and not road) limits rider.

17. Joe I don't subscribe to the whole Netrider thing of let's blame the rider. I'm more inclined to want to eliminate all other factors before focusing on the rider.

We have bike, weather, road conditions and rider to factor in. Start with the simple stuff first.

18. Agreed and that's where my "without warning" comes in.

Then again, there was one time when I chucked my horrible CB400N up the road at a T-junction for no apparent reason when it had a thoroughly cracked set of Siamese Rubber Co's finest on it. Thing is, it never misbehaved at any other time, so I've tended to put it down to crap on the road at that particular junction combined with the bike having double :shock: the horsepower I was used to at the time.

19. Yeah i'm with ya. But if the Op hasn't learnt to tip toe around until he gets a feel for his grip levels, that's where he may get the sensation of 'without warning', he hasn't learnt to read the warnings.

If i was in the same boat as the OP, I would of sat on the edge of the road and had a smoke while I watched cars come through the same section. If I saw any of them have a slip I'd be more inclined to think the surface is the problem. I wonder if he did that?

I had an old 400/4 (two of them actually) I loved that bike, it's worth considerable money now. I don't want to talk about it ](*,)

I've had tyres behave erratically in the past. One day they give you grip, the next day they don't, the day after that is a lottery.

It's only when they give me a really decent scare that i get rid of them :LOL:

I threw it down the road in the city one time, couldn't for the life of me figure out why. Thankfully a rider was walking along the footpath where I decided to do it and he came and cleared things up for me.

I didn't find it when I had a look, but I had been braking downhill when i went over a wet leaf. The front locked and tucked so I went for a slide with the bike on top of me.

Thankfully this bloke pointed out the leaf with the hole worn through it, I was going to blame myself.

20. Shit happens.